It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with Two RTC Servers and One Buildforge Server

Thomas Dunnigan (13114126) | asked Jul 26 '10, 9:16 p.m.
We recently cloned our RTC VM (VM2). After creating the clone, I ran a test on VM2. I realized that the build results were being reported back to the original RTC VM (VM1).

I had updated the buildforge user in the build definitions on VM2. If I changed the name of the build definition it would still report the build results from VM2 back to VM1 as long as it the build definition pointed to the same BF build project.

I also dropped and recreated the build def in RTC on VM2. It still pointed to the same BF project. The result was the same. A build that was requested on VM2 still reported back to VM1.

After running several tests, I discovered that the only way to avoid this dual reporting was to:
1. Create a new Build Def in RTC.
2. Create a copy of the BuildForge project.
3. Link the new Build Def to the new Buildforge project.

Is there any way to correct this issue? We routinely refresh our test platform from our production RTC instance and we need a resolution to this.

One answer

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Aug 02 '10, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is working as designed. Any RTC server that contains a build definition referencing a specific Build Forge project, will get the build results regardless of where they are launched from. The event infrastructure works like this. The RTC server event handler wakes up and checks the configured Build Forge server for events specific to the configured Project UUID. When it finds an event for that project, it processes it, even when it did not launch the project. As you found out, by creating a copy of the BF project, you effectively changed the Project UUID. By working this way, you can see Projects launched from RTC and from Build Forge (and from other RTC servers referencing the same Project UUID).

If you would like an option to only update build results which were launched from that particular RTC server, you will need to open an enhancement request.

Thanks!
Pete

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.