It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

connecting BF to RTC

Tom Lageson (16263) | asked Dec 21 '09, 3:12 p.m.
I have installed the necessary components on both BF 7.1.1.2 and RTC 2.002M2 to test using BF as a build engine for RTC.

I get the following message:
CRRTC3507W: Warning: No engine participant found for build configuration element "Rational Build Forge".

One thing I can't find in the documentation or on jazz.net is the definition of a Build Engine using BF rather than JBE.

The Build Definition expects a RTC Build Engine to be referenced. But I don't see how to setup a BF Build Engine in RTC.

Please help.

- Tom

16 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Dec 21 '09, 10:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I replied in the RTC forum.

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Dec 23 '09, 12:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Download the BuildForgeConnectorServer.zip from the clients page on your Build Forge server.

http://<build_forge_hostname>/clients

Choose "Rational Team Concert 2.x Server Extension" from the list. This will download BuildForgeConnectorServer.zip for the RTC 2.x server.

Put this file in the /jazz/server directory. Unzip BuildForgeConnectorServer.zip here. This will unzip the following files from /jazz/server:

buildforgeconnector-update-site/
buildforgeconnector-update-site/plugins/
buildforgeconnector-update-site/plugins/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.services.client.java_7.1.1.2020032.jar
buildforgeconnector-update-site/plugins/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui_7.1.1.2020032.jar
buildforgeconnector-update-site/plugins/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.service_7.1.1.2020032.jar
buildforgeconnector-update-site/plugins/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.common_7.1.1.2020032.jar
buildforgeconnector-update-site/features/
buildforgeconnector-update-site/features/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.server.feature_7.1.1.2020032.jar
buildforgeconnector-update-site/features/com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.feature_7.1.1.2020032.jar
buildforgeconnector-update-site/site.xml
conf/
conf/jazz/
conf/jazz/provision_profiles/
conf/jazz/provision_profiles/buildforgeconnector-profile.ini

Restart your RTC server after doing this and the Build Forge Engine will be available in the RTC server.

Also, make sure you install the RTC Build Forge client plugin (available at the same page) in your TeamConcert client. Restart your client and create a Build Definition. The first time you create one where the Build Forge Connector build engine does not exist, it should create it for you.

Please respond if you have other issues. You can check the Build Forge 7.1.1 Installation Guide (Page 87) for more information about the BF/RTC integration installation.

Regards,
Peter Birk

permanent link
Luc Rotsaert (6113) | answered Jan 06 '10, 12:47 p.m.
I get the exact same error message, and the replies so far didn't help me much, I've consulted the replies before I actually did the installation of the BF plugin.
Tom, is this problem solved already on your side?

permanent link
Tom Lageson (16263) | answered Jan 06 '10, 6:25 p.m.
I get the exact same error message, and the replies so far didn't help me much, I've consulted the replies before I actually did the installation of the BF plugin.
Tom, is this problem solved already on your side?

We made some progress on our side.

I had installed the incorrect version of the Eclipse/RAD plugin. Though they have the same version numbers, they definitely need to match the version of RTC you use.

You can get the right version by going to:
http://<yourBuildForgeServer>/clients and selecting the correct version for your RTC installation.

Then using the correct version it created the RationalBuildForge build engine as shown in the links previously posted.

That helped. However....
The JazzSCM adaptor has changed between RTC 1.0 and RTC 2.0. You can download a version that supposedly works with 2.0 from this technote:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21396555

I say supposedly because while the SCM accept command looks different, the parsing piece isn't correct for 2.0, so it stills detects the connection and accept as a failure.

Which is a problem. We have a three step job. Linking our configured JazzSCM Adaptor to the BF defined Project (shown on the AdaptorLinks page in BF) however, seems to create a four step job when kicked off from RTC. Step 0 being the link to the JazzSCM adaptor. I wouldn't have really cared about this, EXCEPT when that step failed (always because of the incorrect parsing in the JazzSCM Adaptor), the job was purged. No record of it having actually run or anything. We finally had to quickly go into the step as it was running to capture the logs before it purged. We also modified the Adaptor to bypass the parsing so it would pass.

So fine, now we have RTC kicking off BF jobs. Happiness should be abounding, but alas, we have not been able to get RTC to detect that the BF job finished and actually post the results back in RTC. The RTC build polling is happening but it never detects that the job completed. This is where I am now stuck.

Anyone know the answer to getting RTC to detect that BF completed?

<mildRant>I am somewhat chagrined at all the monkeying around we have had to do and the lack of practical step by step how-to-do it. Given the hype from IBM (and the desires by customers), I expected a detailed step-by-step how-to example at this point.</mildRant>

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Jan 09 '10, 12:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi. We're working on some Jazz.net Install/Config/Usage documentation for the Build Forge RTC plugin. There is installation documentation that might be helpful to you in the Build Forge installation guide, you can find it here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3099&context=SS2MGB&dc=DA400&uid=pub1gc23768206&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct3099rational (look at Page 89).

If events are not updating the RTC build result with status (step completions, etc), it's due to the server-side plugin not being installed properly or communicating properly with the Build Forge server. Check your build definition to ensure the host/port and userid/password is correct and that the userid/password is a dedicated user (not used for any other Build Forge login purposes).

You can try troubleshooting the server-side plugin by adding the following system property (-Dcom.buildforge.rtc.plugin.debug=true) to the JAVA_OPTS line in server.startup.bat (or .sh). This will produce a buildforge_service.log (in the same directory) containing some output of the server-side plugin processing. If you don't see this file after running a Build, then the server-side connector is not seen by RTC and there's an install issue. If you see this file but don't see anything obvious in it, you can send it to me (pbirk@us.ibm.com) to analyze.

Sometimes it's necessary to issue a "requestReset" command to the RTC server to update the plugins to ensure the latest ones are being used. Go to the following URL on your RTC server and then restart it once you login.

https://<hostname>:<port>/jazz/admin/cmd/requestReset

Also, the correct JazzSCMv2.xml (for use with RTC 2.x) adapter is included in the next Build Forge FixPak due out soon. I can send this to you if you need it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Feb 18 '10, 11:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
FYI.. Here are a couple of new articles to assist in using BuildForge with RTC.

- Configuring Build Forge to Integrate with RTC Team Build
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RationalBuildForge/IntegrationWithRTC

- Advanced Build Forge Integration with RTC: Continuous Integration and Using Build Toolkit Ant Tasks for Richer Build Result Contributions
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RationalBuildForge/CallingBuildToolkitAntTasksFromBuildForgeToFeedContributions

Regards,
Pete

permanent link
Mark Ottaviani (3111) | answered Feb 18 '10, 12:44 p.m.
Thanks for taking the time to write these up!

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Feb 19 '10, 11:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for taking the time to write these up!

No problem. They are somewhat overdue, but hopefully helpful. If you have any questions about them, please let me know here. Thanks!

permanent link
Mark Ottaviani (3111) | answered Feb 19 '10, 11:53 a.m.
I seem to be hitting a problem with the BuildUuid getting overwritten by the word 'default'.

I'll submit the log data to a PMR and e-mail you the number.

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Feb 22 '10, 12:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I seem to be hitting a problem with the BuildUuid getting overwritten by the word 'default'.

I'll submit the log data to a PMR and e-mail you the number.

It was good working with you on this problem and I'm glad we got it resolved. I'll update the instructions on the Wiki to clarify a few of the issues we discussed so others might avoid the same things.

Regards,
Pete

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.