It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem running tomcat as a service

Lewis Tsao (2174963) | asked Oct 03 '10, 10:25 a.m.
Hi, I have a customer running RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix4 express on 64 bit Win 2003 server. I have tried to install to start as a service.

I have followed TN0010, copied over the 64bit tomcat5, and added the "-D" as mentioned in the tech doc. However I just get the following error message with no much more info. Not sure which config file it is trying to load. Tried checking permission on everything and seems OK. Checked no problem with virus checker, or any local security policy.

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet equinoxbridgeservlet threw exception
java.lang.RuntimeException: CRJAZ1118I Unable to load server configuration.
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.failedToLoadServiceConfiguration(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:77)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.getConfigFileInputStream(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:115)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.getConfigFileInputStream(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:102)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.loadProperties(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:126)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.primGetProperties(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:186)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.primGetValue(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:200)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.AbstractServerConfigurationImpl.getString(AbstractServerConfigurationImpl.java:135)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ConfigurationManager.getOverrideString(ConfigurationManager.java:85)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.fetchPropertyOverride(ServiceConfiguration.java:109)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.getOverrides(ServiceConfiguration.java:216)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.getConfigurationValues(ServiceConfiguration.java:179)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.getPropertiesMap(ServiceConfiguration.java:235)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.bindConfigurationProperties(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:214)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:582)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.getService(ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.java:133)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:254)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.services.TeamServiceRegistry.getService(TeamServiceRegistry.java:224)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.getServletConfigurationService(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1117)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.isAdminAccessAllowed(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1210)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.TeamServerServlet.logSecuritySettings(TeamServerServlet.java:197)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.TeamServerServlet.init(TeamServerServlet.java:193)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:212)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.initializeDelegate(ServletManager.java:195)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.service(ServletManager.java:179)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ServletRegistration.handleRequest(ServletRegistration.java:90)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.processAlias(ProxyServlet.java:111)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:75)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
at org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge.BridgeServlet.service(BridgeServlet.java:121)
at com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.JazzServlet.service(JazzServlet.java:54)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:525)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:873)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:811)
Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: C
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:234)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:551)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:501)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:180)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.openServer(NetworkClient.java:141)
at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.openServer(FtpClient.java:503)
at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.openServer(FtpClient.java:490)
at sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.connect(FtpURLConnection.java:287)
at sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.getInputStream(FtpURLConnection.java:369)
at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1044)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.getConfigFileInputStream(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:113)
... 44 more

10 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Oct 04 '10, 6:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, I have a customer running RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix4 express on 64 bit Win 2003 server. I have tried to install to start as a service.

I have followed TN0010, copied over the 64bit tomcat5, and added the "-D" as mentioned in the tech doc. However I just get the following error message with no much more info. Not sure which config file it is trying to load. Tried checking permission on everything and seems OK. Checked no problem with virus checker, or any local security policy.

at

-snip-
... 44 more

This looks suspiciously like a file access permission problem. Make sure the user that starts the service has read/write access to the jazz server directory.

As a test - can you try changing the user that runs the service to yourself (assuming you have admin permissions on the server files)

anthony

permanent link
Kevin Blacker (6) | answered Oct 04 '10, 11:24 a.m.

at

-snip-
... 44 more

This looks suspiciously like a file access permission problem. Make sure the user that starts the service has read/write access to the jazz server directory.

As a test - can you try changing the user that runs the service to yourself (assuming you have admin permissions on the server files)

anthony

There may be some configuration problem in tomcat5 as well.

permanent link
Lewis Tsao (2174963) | answered Oct 09 '10, 5:41 a.m.
Eventually tracked it down. Used customer's saved java config (from previous service setting) having been assured that it was correct. I can only assume that original 'saved' config was wrong and the correct config was never saved.

The offending entry was "JAZZ_HOME" where they had "C:\Program...." instead of "file:///C:/Program...."

Oops, beware of saved configs.

at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.failedToLoadServiceConfiguration(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:77)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.getConfigFileInputStream(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:115)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.getConfigFileInputStream(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:102)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.loadProperties(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:126)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.primGetProperties(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:186)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.primGetValue(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:200)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.AbstractServerConfigurationImpl.getString(AbstractServerConfigurationImpl.java:135)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ConfigurationManager.getOverrideString(ConfigurationManager.java:85)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.fetchPropertyOverride(ServiceConfiguration.java:109)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.getOverrides(ServiceConfiguration.java:216)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.getConfigurationValues(ServiceConfiguration.java:179)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceConfiguration.getPropertiesMap(ServiceConfiguration.java:235)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.bindConfigurationProperties(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:214)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:582)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.getService(ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.java:133)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:254)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.services.TeamServiceRegistry.getService(TeamServiceRegistry.java:224)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.getServletConfigurationService(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1117)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.isAdminAccessAllowed(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1210)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.TeamServerServlet.logSecuritySettings(TeamServerServlet.java:197)
at com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.TeamServerServlet.init(TeamServerServlet.java:193)
at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:212)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.initializeDelegate(ServletManager.java:195)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.service(ServletManager.java:179)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ServletRegistration.handleRequest(ServletRegistration.java:90)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.processAlias(ProxyServlet.java:111)
at org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:75)
at org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge.BridgeServlet.service(BridgeServlet.java:121)
at com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.JazzServlet.service(JazzServlet.java:54)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:525)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:873)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:811)
Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: C
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:234)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:551)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:501)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:180)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.openServer(NetworkClient.java:141)
at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.openServer(FtpClient.java:503)
at sun.net.ftp.FtpClient.openServer(FtpClient.java:490)
at sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.connect(FtpURLConnection.java:287)
at sun.net.www.protocol.ftp.FtpURLConnection.getInputStream(FtpURLConnection.java:369)
at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1044)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.configuration.OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.getConfigFileInputStream(OverridablePropertyFileServerConfiguration.java:113)
... 44 more

permanent link
Brian DiCola (16) | answered Oct 25 '11, 6:52 p.m.
Nice tip Lewis. That worked for me.

permanent link
Martina Riedel (20323341) | answered Oct 31 '11, 6:22 p.m.
Eventually tracked it down. Used customer's saved java config (from previous service setting) having been assured that it was correct. I can only assume that original 'saved' config was wrong and the correct config was never saved.

The offending entry was "JAZZ_HOME" where they had "C:\Program...." instead of "file:///C:/Program...."

Oops, beware of saved configs.

I think I am having the same issue. I have a brand new install and I'm feeling stupid for not knowing where to look for the "C:\Program...." .

I see it in the tomcat service properties, but there it was copied in straight form the IBM help.
So is the IBM help wrong or do I need to edit another file?

Thanks

permanent link
Jansen Dennett (6) | answered Nov 07 '11, 6:35 a.m.
I think I am having the same issue. I have a brand new install and I'm feeling stupid for not knowing where to look for the "C:\Program...." .

I see it in the tomcat service properties, but there it was copied in straight form the IBM help.
So is the IBM help wrong or do I need to edit another file?

I have had the same issue, the installation guide is wrong, so if you copy and paste the Java options it will not work.

The fix for me was :-

1) Run the tomcat5w.exe
2) On the Java tab, within the Java Options section, find the DJAZZ_HOME option.

3) Insert file:/// between the -DJAZZ_HOME and your "c:\pro...."

So you DJAZZ_HOME should be something like this for x32

-DJAZZ_HOME=file:///C:\Program Files\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\conf

or this for (x64)

-DJAZZ_HOME=file:///C:\PROGRA~2\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\conf

Assumes default installation paths.

4) Restart the service.

I have used the short file name for the x64 example, because the documents say do not use spaces in one paragraph, and then the following paragraph they use spaces !!

Also note, there are inaccuracies on the x64 guide, as they use "c:\program files\.." instead of "c:\program files (x86)\.." (short name "C:\PROGRA~2\.."), so these will also need to be updated on an x64 installation.

I was using Jazz v3.01 (x32) and v3.0.1.1 (x64).

permanent link
Martina Riedel (20323341) | answered Nov 07 '11, 12:15 p.m.
That works.
And now I back to an error that I had in another (test) env before and didn't get fixed.

The data warehouse stuff doesn't work.

On the team dashboards there are no graphs, just the error: Report loading failed: Schema 'CONFIG' does not exist

The Data collection job status says: Error fetching job history, ensure data warehouse is properly configured.

The problem happens when I let the service use the system account and my admin account that I use to manually start JTS.

It all just works fine when I start JTS from the start menu.
This is a 32-bit win 2003 server test env with Derby, just out of the box, nothing tweaked.

I anybody has an idea what to tweak, I'd really appreciate it.

permanent link
Martina Riedel (20323341) | answered Nov 08 '11, 6:28 p.m.
That works.
And now I back to an error that I had in another (test) env before and didn't get fixed.

The data warehouse stuff doesn't work.

On the team dashboards there are no graphs, just the error: Report loading failed: Schema 'CONFIG' does not exist

The Data collection job status says: Error fetching job history, ensure data warehouse is properly configured.

ok, I did some searching and guessing and surprise, surprise there is another bug in the documentation.

When editing <JazzInstallDir>\server\conf\<app>\teamserver.properties file, one also has to fix the datawarehouse.db.jdbc.location

from
com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.db.jdbc.location=//localhost\:1527/conf/jts/derby/warehouseDB

to
com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.db.jdbc.location=//localhost\:1527/C:/PROGRA~1/IBM/JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jts/derby/warehouseDB

permanent link
Martina Riedel (20323341) | answered Nov 08 '11, 7:02 p.m.
since I seem to run into this every time I setup a demo at a customer site, I filed a defect. https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=183707

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 09 '11, 3:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for filing that defect.

Everyone: Whenever you encounter a defect in the documentation (even a
minor one), please do submit a work item to jazz.net (the RTC doc team
uses the jazz.net repository to drive their work).

Thanks!
Geoff

On 11/8/2011 7:08 PM, martinar wrote:
since I seem to run into this every time I setup a demo at a customer
site, I filed a defect.
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=183707

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.