It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error using CLEARCASE_VIEW var

ep zee (9695) | asked Jan 27 '11, 8:47 a.m.
I want to use a dynamic view in in my project. Right now I have two steps:

1)
-- cleartool setview my_view
-- cleartool catcs
2)
-- cleartool catcs

Step 1 passes and step 2 fails. I tried setting the CLEARCASE_VIEW variable, and absolute path to my steps, but I get this error msg:

EXEC	320 EXEC CCExecFail["my_view"]

It works if I don't use this variable and type the setview command at the beginning of each step, but I'm looking for a better solution since I'll probably have 10/15 steps using the view.

Thanks!

11 answers

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Jan 27 '11, 11:43 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I want to use a dynamic view in in my project. Right now I have two steps:

1)
-- cleartool setview my_view
-- cleartool catcs
2)
-- cleartool catcs

Step 1 passes and step 2 fails. I tried setting the CLEARCASE_VIEW variable, and absolute path to my steps, but I get this error msg:

EXEC	320 EXEC CCExecFail["my_view"]

It works if I don't use this variable and type the setview command at the beginning of each step, but I'm looking for a better solution since I'll probably have 10/15 steps using the view.

Thanks!

there was a bug in the agent a few years ago that did this. What version of the console and agent are you running?

permanent link
ep zee (9695) | answered Jan 27 '11, 1:52 p.m.
there was a bug in the agent a few years ago that did this. What version of the console and agent are you running?

Where can I see this?

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Jan 27 '11, 2:50 p.m.

Where can I see this?

on the console, hover over the Rational Build Forge logo in the upper left. The image has an ALT tag that will pop up after a second or two of hover (with most browsers). In 7.1.1.x that will be the product version. Earlier than that, and that number will be the schema version, which I can use to determine the product version. or you can log into the console and run buildforge -v (buildforge.exe, buildforge, or buildforge.pl depending on the product version) from the Platform directory.

for the agent do "telnet agent.host.name.com 5555" (or whatever port number) the first line should be "200 HELLO" followed by a product string that includes the version number. Paste that line

permanent link
ep zee (9695) | answered Jan 27 '11, 3:12 p.m.
Thanks for the tips!

Management Console: 7.1.1.3-0-0025
Agent Version: 7.1.1.3-0-0034

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Jan 27 '11, 3:53 p.m.
Thanks for the tips!

Management Console: 7.1.1.3-0-0025
Agent Version: 7.1.1.3-0-0034

you're going to need to open a PMR, but do one more thing before you do.

Try a step that does "echo hello world" with your CLEARCASE_VIEW env var set.

The old agent defect I referred to would cause a failure in that case. If that step passes, then it's something else.

permanent link
ep zee (9695) | answered Jan 27 '11, 4:04 p.m.
Same error :(

I believe we're going to update to 7.1.2 soon, would this fix this issue? Or is this an agent bug?

Also, where can I open a PMR?

Thanks!
ep.-

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Jan 27 '11, 4:24 p.m.
Same error :(

I believe we're going to update to 7.1.2 soon, would this fix this issue? Or is this an agent bug?

I wish I could tell you for sure. It appears to be an agent regression. I can't say for sure if the 7.1.2 agent will fix it or not.

Also, where can I open a PMR?

Thanks!
ep.-

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Open_service_request/Software/Software_support_(general)

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Jan 27 '11, 4:33 p.m.
I just tested this on my 7.1.2.0 console against a 7.1.2.0 agent.

I could not reproduce the defect you saw in 7.1.1.3, so it looks addressed in 7.1.2.0 and later.

permanent link
ep zee (9695) | answered Mar 02 '11, 12:24 p.m.
So I tested a simple project (only a step that does an echo) using management console v 7.1.2.0-0-0341
with a 7.1.2.0-0-0016 agent and I got this message:
EXEC	Unable to set working directory to '/view/my_view/home/my_user' (2).

The step path is set to absolute and the server path is /home/my_user. If I change my server path to / I get this:
EXEC	Unable to set working directory to '/view/my_view' (2).

Any idea what could be happening?

permanent link
Kristofer Duer (36) | answered Mar 08 '11, 3:16 p.m.
So I tested a simple project (only a step that does an echo) using management console v 7.1.2.0-0-0341
with a 7.1.2.0-0-0016 agent and I got this message:
EXEC	Unable to set working directory to '/view/my_view/home/my_user' (2).

The step path is set to absolute and the server path is /home/my_user. If I change my server path to / I get this:
EXEC	Unable to set working directory to '/view/my_view' (2).

Any idea what could be happening?

To use a CC view for a step you must have two things:
1) CC View context
2) CC VOB context

The root of the view is read only on purpose by ClearCase. As such when using the CLEARCASE_VIEW variable it is usually also used in conjunction with the _CEARCASE_VOBS variable to automatically mount VOBs and start and set the view. That still leaves you with one final piece - the VOB context. This is typically accomplished by using an absolute step with the VOB tag as the step directory. Doing this will give you view context - from the CLEARCASE_VIEW variable - and VOB context from the step path. Assuming the user you are using for this step has access to CC then you should be able to run builds that way.

Hope this helps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.