It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with work item templates

Case Taintor (1462116) | asked Jul 23 '10, 10:29 a.m.
This page talks about setting up the really simplistic work item templates without any coding. However, there is a bug in it which leads to us being unable to make work item templates for defects. In our process, a defect requires 'Impact' to be set. Impact is a custom enumeration that we added to the ticket type. Saving the work item template (with impact set) works fine, however, when we try to create a work item from the template, we get the following error.

Error creating work item set from template Editor: Defect template. The work items were not created. Details: 'Save Work Item' failed. Preconditions have not been met: The 'Impact' attribute needs to be set (work item <10>).

It would appear that the impact field is not being included in the work item template and means that the work item cannot be created. So, what's the workaround?

6 answers

permanent link
Jan Wloka (4161) | answered Jul 26 '10, 3:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi pctainto,

the preliminary implementation of work item templates in RTC 2.0.0.2 does not support custom attributes. In our next release RTC 3.0 all workitem attributes are fully supported in templates.

Regards,
Jan.

--
Jan Wloka
Jazz Tracking & Planning Team

This page talks about setting up the really simplistic work item templates without any coding. However, there is a bug in it which leads to us being unable to make work item templates for defects. In our process, a defect requires 'Impact' to be set. Impact is a custom enumeration that we added to the ticket type. Saving the work item template (with impact set) works fine, however, when we try to create a work item from the template, we get the following error.

Error creating work item set from template Editor: Defect template. The work items were not created. Details: 'Save Work Item' failed. Preconditions have not been met: The 'Impact' attribute needs to be set (work item <10>).

It would appear that the impact field is not being included in the work item template and means that the work item cannot be created. So, what's the workaround?

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jul 26 '10, 3:48 p.m.
Thanks.

Will 3.0 also improve on the power of templates? Right now you can only set two fields (Planned For, Filed Against) at the time of template creation and you have to start with a valid work item. I'd like to be able to create a template that creates partial tickets -- so, say I set some keywords or other fields in the template but I don't set a required field (impact, for instance) and the person using the template has to do that.

I think templates are a really cool idea, but, what is implemented now leaves a lot to be desired.

permanent link
Jan Wloka (4161) | answered Jul 27 '10, 4:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi pctainto,

if you feel something needs to be added or could be improved in an upcoming release, please file an enhancement request against RTC.

A few information about support for work item templates in RTC3.0 can be found at

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/3.0M4?p=news#workitems

Thanks,
Jan.

--
Jan Wloka

permanent link
Victor Campbell (3502618) | answered Jul 27 '10, 10:44 a.m.
Could the field be unselected in the Operation Behavior --> Save Work Item precondition "required properties" to prevent the save error?

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jul 27 '10, 4:17 p.m.
Could the field be unselected in the Operation Behavior --> Save Work Item precondition "required properties" to prevent the save error?

Well, yea, but, then it wouldn't be required. So, there's a workaround, but, not what I want to do.

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jul 27 '10, 4:19 p.m.
Hi pctainto,

if you feel something needs to be added or could be improved in an upcoming release, please file an enhancement request against RTC.

A few information about support for work item templates in RTC3.0 can be found at

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/3.0M4?p=news#workitems

Thanks,
Jan.

--
Jan Wloka

Thanks, I'll take a look. Looks promising -- probably need to install this somewhere and try it out :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.