It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query over multiple project areas

Roland Mueller (102299) | asked Jun 16 '10, 3:39 p.m.
Hello,
are their recommendations out how to organize a project which consists of a common platform and several applications with additional specific parts. We tend to make several project areas (one for the platform and one for each application). but that brings the issues, that I can not generate queries e.g. on the overall defect status, test coverage etc. as the queries are only per project area.
Putting all in one project area may result over the years in a big dinosaur project area, as the platform stays and applications come and go.
How is the development of RTC organized. I assume there are common parts like all the eclipse and WEB stuff and application specific parts.
Your input is welcome.

Roland

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 17 '10, 12:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I always recommend putting every team area in one project area, unless you have some good reason for creating a second project area.

Some good reasons include:
The process configuration data needs to be different (e.g. work item types).
You need different read access to things like plans.

Note that having the project area get "too big" is normally not one of those reasons. Team areas are hierarchical, so don't see all those old team areas (and if a team area is really no longer of any use, you can "archive" it).

Cheers,
Geoff

Hello,
are their recommendations out how to organize a project which consists of a common platform and several applications with additional specific parts. We tend to make several project areas (one for the platform and one for each application). but that brings the issues, that I can not generate queries e.g. on the overall defect status, test coverage etc. as the queries are only per project area.
Putting all in one project area may result over the years in a big dinosaur project area, as the platform stays and applications come and go.
How is the development of RTC organized. I assume there are common parts like all the eclipse and WEB stuff and application specific parts.
Your input is welcome.

Roland

permanent link
Roland Mueller (102299) | answered Jun 23 '10, 7:35 a.m.
Thanks for the advice - sounds reasonable

Roland

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.