It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Usability of team planning feature

James Leone (13613513) | asked Jun 15 '10, 3:09 p.m.
Hello,

I have been following along with some of the online videos that demonstrate how to perform agile planning. Specifically the process of moving stories from the Release Backlog to a Sprint Backlog and then breaking down the stories into sub-tasks.

The videos look great, but when I attempt to replicate the process, it is not working. For example, I want to break down a user story into tasks. I have the sprint planning view open in the RTC eclipse client. I can right click and add a task, but I want this to be a child of the user story. The online videos say "just hit tab" and I see the task get's indented.

Looks easy enough, but it's just not working. Am I missing something?

5 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jun 15 '10, 10:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In the Eclipse client you can use TAB to indent tasks into their parent, but in the web ui you'll have to drag and drop. In the Eclipse client use the context menu on the item to show you the possible actions with keybindings for them.
Cheers,
Jean-Michel

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 16 '10, 3:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

I have been following along with some of the online videos that demonstrate how to perform agile planning. Specifically the process of moving stories from the Release Backlog to a Sprint Backlog and then breaking down the stories into sub-tasks.

The videos look great, but when I attempt to replicate the process, it is not working. For example, I want to break down a user story into tasks. I have the sprint planning view open in the RTC eclipse client. I can right click and add a task, but I want this to be a child of the user story. The online videos say "just hit tab" and I see the task get's indented.

Looks easy enough, but it's just not working. Am I missing something?

Hi

Once you have completed entering the task info - select the task you want to make a child (it should be selected anyway if you have just completed it) and then hit Tab. This has just worked for me on 2.0.0.2 ifix3 but has been a capability for some time, so should work for you too.

If that does not work - what version of RTC and OS are you on?

Hope that helps

anthony

permanent link
James Leone (13613513) | answered Jun 16 '10, 6:13 a.m.
After playing a bit more, I made progress. It seems the ability to view/create the tree hierarchy can only be done when using certain "View As" modes from the "Planned Items".

For example, if I look at the planned items and select "View As" "Backlog" I don't observer the simplified behavior of using the tab key to "indent" tasks and make them subtasks.

However, if I use the "Team Folders" view, things are more like a tree and I can exercise this behavior.

Does this make sense? Is the functionality only available in certain "View As" views based on assumptions of when I would be using that "View As" way of looking at the backlog?

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jun 16 '10, 3:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, that would be a cause. In certain view modes the task hierarchy is flattened (so that it's easier to rank a backlog with all items in a single top-down list).

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 17 '10, 4:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
And note that allowing "nesting" a work item via a TAB operation in a
non-nested view would produce some very confusing behavior ... the next
time you refreshed the view, the work item you just nested would
disappear from under its parent, and re-appear somewhere else in that
non-nested view.

So I personally believe that the current design is right, *but* I was
caught by this myself a while back. So arguably, it would be more user
friendly to have the TAB operation in a non-nested view produce a
friendly error message telling the user something like "you must switch
to a hierarchical view mode to use the TAB key to nest work items". I'm
not not sure that I'd want that behavior, so I won't submit a request
for it, but if anyone else out there likes that idea, feel free to do so
(:-).

Cheers,
Geoff

On 6/17/2010 9:36 AM, jlemieux wrote:
Yes, that would be a cause. In certain view modes the task hierarchy
is flattened (so that it's easier to rank a backlog with all items in
a single top-down list).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.