It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query: retrieve a parent work item with ALL childs resolved

Ulf Buchner (3182213) | asked Jun 01 '10, 11:02 a.m.
I all,

I want to create a query in RTC which returns ALL work items for which ALL childs are resolved.

The problem I encounter is that when I select AND Children is -> Status resolved, it returns all work items for which there are one or more children that are resolved. Which is not what I want.

Is there a way to build such a query? I need it to determine for an administrator that there are parent work items which are ready for a promotion to a next environment.

Thanks,

Ulf Buchner

2 answers

permanent link
Morten Mikkelsen (136156) | answered Jun 02 '10, 4:51 a.m.
Hi.
I think the possibilities with work item queries are not powerful enough to express your demand.
As far as I understand, the only option you have is to produce a report.

Getting started is a walk in the park (but takes a little longer than just dragging and dropping a work item query).
Someone at developerworks just released a nice step-by-step guide on
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/creatingcustomreportswithbirtandrtc-part1/index.html

Happy reporting,
/Morten

permanent link
Ulf Buchner (3182213) | answered Jun 02 '10, 10:32 a.m.
Thanks Morten,

I was afraid of an answer like this ;-) I don't think the query is that complicated (I've used SQL for many years) but the possibilities of the query designer are indeed somewhat limited.

Is a report created with live information? So can we display such a report at any point in time? We need the information for instance to notify testers that there are work items ready to be tested.

Perhaps we will use a different approach, assinging the user which has to be notified as owner which will, hopefully, result in sending an E-mail to this person. Unfortunately we are not able to assign a group of people (or better: a role) as an owner. We could then notify all testers that there's stuff to be tested.

In the meantime we created a workaround query...

Thanks,

Ulf

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.