It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Manual Test Scripts: Execution Steps vs. Reporting Steps

Marcelo Marinho (36198) | asked May 26 '10, 11:22 a.m.
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out the differences between those 2 types of steps in Manual Test Scripts (Execution and Reporting).
I get what's the idea behind it: actions and verifications points.

But, does RQM have any functionality that uses that distinction?
A report that get results from one and not the other, for example?
Or the difference is only conceptual?

If anybody is using those types for a specific reason, I would like to know.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Chris Stephens (1) | answered Jan 07 '13, 1:26 p.m.
To me these 2 types of steps would equate to Automated testing in the way mentioned above an execution step(action) and  reporting step (verfification checkpoint).

permanent link
Steven Wallace (336) | answered Oct 08 '20, 10:46 a.m.
edited Oct 08 '20, 10:53 a.m.
  • Execution steps ( Step ) tell testers which actions to perform when they run the script. For example, "Start the application." represents an execution step.
  • Reporting steps ( Reporting step ) are higher-level checkpoints. Reporting steps might summarize the result of several execution steps. For example, a reporting step might ask, "Were you able to log in?"
  • Information steps( Information Step ) enable testers to add notes, cautions, setup instructions, or delays between steps during test case execution. For example, “Set Voltage to 5V and temperature to 10ºC.” is an information step.

-- Steve

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.