It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Select Test Environment when running Test Suite

Ryan Schmitz (2666) | asked Jun 16 '09, 3:38 p.m.
It would be nice if I could select a Test Environment when running a Test Suite? Does this functionality exist, and I just don't see it, or is it planned for the future?

Thanks,
Ryan

3 answers

permanent link
Wayne Ho (91) | answered Jun 23 '09, 4:06 p.m.
It would be nice if I could select a Test Environment when running a Test Suite? Does this functionality exist, and I just don't see it, or is it planned for the future?

Thanks,
Ryan

It is possible to select a Test Environment for a Test Suite (or for individual Test Cases of a Test Suite) in the Test Suite editor.

This can be done in the Test Case section of the Test Suit editor. You can select the desired Test Cases (or select all the Test Cases if you wish to use a single Test Environment for the whole Test Suite) and click on the "Change execution properties" button. From there you can select the desired Test Environment.

This is done while editing the Test Suite and not selected at run time.

permanent link
Ryan Schmitz (2666) | answered Jun 24 '09, 11:29 a.m.
Yes, I have seen this, however this edits the Test Suite when you do it, for instance the next time you open it, these environments will still be set.

My concern with this is if we assign 2 or 3 testers to run the same Test Suite with different environments, they each have to go in and change the execution properties, and what if they collide with each other, etc.

It just seems like if you can select an environment in the execution start window when you run a test case individually, why cant you when you select an environment in the execution start window when you run multiple in a suite.

It is possible to select a Test Environment for a Test Suite (or for individual Test Cases of a Test Suite) in the Test Suite editor.

This can be done in the Test Case section of the Test Suit editor. You can select the desired Test Cases (or select all the Test Cases if you wish to use a single Test Environment for the whole Test Suite) and click on the "Change execution properties" button. From there you can select the desired Test Environment.

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k1134139) | answered Jun 24 '09, 1:29 p.m.
Yes, I have seen this, however this edits the Test Suite when you do it, for instance the next time you open it, these environments will still be set.

My concern with this is if we assign 2 or 3 testers to run the same Test Suite with different environments, they each have to go in and change the execution properties, and what if they collide with each other, etc.

It just seems like if you can select an environment in the execution start window when you run a test case individually, why cant you when you select an environment in the execution start window when you run multiple in a suite.

I reported this as a potential BUG in that the environments as you say are reset, as are the test scripts you chose ...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.