It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question about efficiency of check-in

James Labrie (18123818) | asked May 20 '10, 6:37 a.m.
Hi,

I have a question about efficiency of check-in.

Environment
Server:
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 SP2
Rational Team Concert Enterprise edition V2.0.0.1
DB2 9.5

Client:
Windows XP SP2
Rational Team Concert V2.0.0.1

In our project, we are handling a lot of big files.
e.g. Over 100 files and each of them is over 1GB.

Please let me know which works quicker "checking 100 files in at one time" or "checking 10 files in at one time and doing it 10 times".

Also there is a setting of Source Control in "Window -> Preferences -> Team -> Jazz Source Control".
In that dialog, we can set "Maximun number of threads", which seems to be related to an efficiency of Check-in.
What number should I set there to make Check-in more efficient?

Regards
James

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered May 20 '10, 2:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I have a question about efficiency of check-in.

Environment
Server:
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 SP2
Rational Team Concert Enterprise edition V2.0.0.1
DB2 9.5

Client:
Windows XP SP2
Rational Team Concert V2.0.0.1

In our project, we are handling a lot of big files.
e.g. Over 100 files and each of them is over 1GB.

Please let me know which works quicker "checking 100 files in at one time" or "checking 10 files in at one time and doing it 10 times".

Also there is a setting of Source Control in "Window -> Preferences -> Team -> Jazz Source Control".
In that dialog, we can set "Maximun number of threads", which seems to be related to an efficiency of Check-in.
What number should I set there to make Check-in more efficient?

Regards
James

Hi James

I don't know the ideal value - but have you tried the Metronome on the Eclipse client to check the performance of the actions. Go Window->Preferences->Team->Jazz Source Control and check the box in the Metronome section.

This measures the time any service takes to talk to the server. Bear in mind, because the Eclipse client does a lot of this transfer as background tasks, the time it takes for the Eclipse client to get back to letting you work will be faster than the metronome readings - but at least you can compare relative times.

regards

anthony

permanent link
James Labrie (18123818) | answered May 24 '10, 4:23 a.m.

Hi James

I don't know the ideal value - but have you tried the Metronome on the Eclipse client to check the performance of the actions. Go Window->Preferences->Team->Jazz Source Control and check the box in the Metronome section.

This measures the time any service takes to talk to the server. Bear in mind, because the Eclipse client does a lot of this transfer as background tasks, the time it takes for the Eclipse client to get back to letting you work will be faster than the metronome readings - but at least you can compare relative times.

regards

anthony

Hi Anthony

Thank you for you reply.
I have one more question about thread.

When many files e.g. 100 files are checked in at the same time, how many threads are generated?

100 threads for 100 files(1 thread for each 1 file) or 1 thread for all 100 files?

What I think is if 100 threads are generated for 100 files(1 thread is generated for each 1 file), it's better to check them in at the same time, and if 1 thread are generated for all 100 files, it's better to check some of them in at one time and do it some times considering the spec of the machine.

Could you let me know how is it programed?

Regards
James

permanent link
James Labrie (18123818) | answered May 25 '10, 6:17 a.m.

Hi James

regards

anthony

Hi Anthony

Thank you for you reply.
I have one more question about thread.

When many files e.g. 100 files are checked in at the same time, how many threads are generated?

100 threads for 100 files(1 thread for each 1 file) or 1 thread for all 100 files?

What I think is if 100 threads are generated for 100 files(1 thread is generated for each 1 file), it's better to check them in at the same time, and if 1 thread are generated for all 100 files, it's better to check some of them in at one time and do it some times considering the spec of the machine.

Could you let me know how is it programed?

Regards
James

Hi,

Could anyone give me any answer on this?

James

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.