It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Updating existing work items with new design elements

Keith Attenborough (1368) | asked May 10 '10, 7:39 a.m.
Suspect this may have been asked and answered, but I was not able to find a posting....

Is it possible to have existing work items (epics, stories, tasks, etc.) updated to reflect new design elements?

As we use various work items and gain experience with RTC, we realize that capturing an additional attribute or two, or perhaps a new tab with some custom attributes would greatly enhance a particular work item's usability for our particular project.

This issue is that these new attributes only appear in work items created after they are incorporated into the work item's Editor Presentation - work items created/saved before the custom attributes were added do not automatically pick them up.

While not having a wholesale update automatically occur makes sense, is there any way to update individual or groups of existing work items to display the updated design?

Thanks in advance.

Keith

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 10 '10, 8:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Keith,

this has been answered before - but I was not able to find an answer...

Create a query that shows the wi's you want to update (potentially all...). Make sure the Query shows the Type column. Run the query. Mark the WI's you want to update. Hover over the Type Column, right click and select "Synchronize Attributes".

Ralph

Suspect this may have been asked and answered, but I was not able to find a posting....

Is it possible to have existing work items (epics, stories, tasks, etc.) updated to reflect new design elements?

As we use various work items and gain experience with RTC, we realize that capturing an additional attribute or two, or perhaps a new tab with some custom attributes would greatly enhance a particular work item's usability for our particular project.

This issue is that these new attributes only appear in work items created after they are incorporated into the work item's Editor Presentation - work items created/saved before the custom attributes were added do not automatically pick them up.

While not having a wholesale update automatically occur makes sense, is there any way to update individual or groups of existing work items to display the updated design?

Thanks in advance.

Keith

permanent link
Keith Attenborough (1368) | answered May 10 '10, 9:40 a.m.
Thanks - exactly what I needed to know.

If someone has a minute - is this in the help somewhere? I searched on synchronize attributes and it's not called out.

Keith

Keith,

Create a query that shows the wi's you want to update (potentially all...). Make sure the Query shows the Type column. Run the query. Mark the WI's you want to update. Hover over the Type Column, right click and select "Synchronize Attributes".

Ralph

Thanks in advance.

Keith

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 10 '10, 10:19 a.m.
Keith,

this might be one of the best hidden features. I think I have read it in the RTC/Learnmore.

I know development is aware of the issue - the team answered the question several times already. I believe there is some work planned for 3.0 - after adding an attribute some message coming up suggesting to do the update.

You could search for that work item and subscribe to it....

Ralph

Thanks - exactly what I needed to know.

If someone has a minute - is this in the help somewhere? I searched on synchronize attributes and it's not called out.

Keith

Keith,

Ralph

Thanks in advance.

Keith

permanent link
Greg Wiley (6) | answered Mar 30 '11, 2:14 p.m.
Anyone aware of a way to do this using the web client?

Keith,

Ralph

Thanks in advance.

Keith

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 31 '11, 1:40 a.m.
Hi,

not that I am aware of.

Ralph

Anyone aware of a way to do this using the web client?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.