It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Web vs Client future direction

Douglas Trottman (5674) | asked Nov 09 '11, 11:04 a.m.
Hi,

I am getting the impression Rational is emphasizing the Web over the Client. For general work item manipulation that is probably ok, but what about source control work? It seems the client is far superior to the web's SCM "Lite". Am I missing something in the new release? Generally, I am working with both SCM and work items. I do not want to have to use two interfaces to work with RTC. We are putting our code into RTC soon and I do not want to try to explain to folks who are already using either the client only or the web only for work items they must now use both.

What is the Rational suggestion for developers who work with planning and SCM in RTC?

Thanks,
Doug

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 09 '11, 6:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I am getting the impression Rational is emphasizing the Web over the Client. For general work item manipulation that is probably ok, but what about source control work? It seems the client is far superior to the web's SCM "Lite". Am I missing something in the new release? Generally, I am working with both SCM and work items. I do not want to have to use two interfaces to work with RTC. We are putting our code into RTC soon and I do not want to try to explain to folks who are already using either the client only or the web only for work items they must now use both.

What is the Rational suggestion for developers who work with planning and SCM in RTC?

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug

Not any sort of official recommendation - but if you are building code using an Eclipse-based tool or Visual Studio, then I would encourage the developers to use RTC in the IDE only. You can do all your planning and work item work as well as the SCM work in the IDE. There is a much wider audience of users who may not develop code but will want to work with work items, plans, etc - and the web UI is typically sufficient for them.

The general approach is to have parity between the IDE-based plugins and the WebUI (where is makes sense - which is most places!)

Hope that helps

anthony

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 10 '11, 3:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Doug,

The general principle used for RTC is that some types of users need/want
to use an IDE (such as Eclipse), and those users should be able to do
all of their common operations through native Eclipse operations. In
particular, since developers need to perform most SCM operations, they
are all provided as native Eclipse operations.
If the user does not need/want to use an IDE, then they should be able
to do all of their common operations through the WebUI.

Because deciding whether a given type of user "needs/wants" to do any
given operation is a judgement call, there will always be cases where
some operation an Eclipse user wants requires use of the Web UI. But if
you find that you frequently need an operation that is not available,
please submit an enhancement request.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 11/9/2011 11:08 AM, dtrottman wrote:
Hi,

I am getting the impression Rational is emphasizing the Web over the
Client. For general work item manipulation that is probably ok, but
what about source control work? It seems the client is far superior
to the web's SCM "Lite". Am I missing something in the new
release? Generally, I am working with both SCM and work items. I do
not want to have to use two interfaces to work with RTC. We are
putting our code into RTC soon and I do not want to try to explain to
folks who are already using either the client only or the web only
for work items they must now use both.

What is the Rational suggestion for developers who work with planning
and SCM in RTC?

Thanks,
Doug

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.