It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SCRUM: Anyone tried Story = Execution Item?

Martin Erzberger (131199) | asked May 04 '10, 2:22 a.m.
Hello
The way I learned Scrum, there is no planning by time. All you have are Epics and User Stories; There are no Tasks.

What I would like to to therefore is:
1. Eliminate Tasks (and any planned work "by hour").
2. Declare User Stories to be the Execution Items (along with Defects). This way, I should be able to see the progress of an Epic.
3. Consequently, I would like to plan even Defects by Story Points.

Has anyone tried to use RTC to support Scrum in such a consequent way? Is there a process template available for this?

Thanks! Martin

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered May 04 '10, 4:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Martin,

removing tasks is a matter of few clicks.
Adding story points to other items is a matter of another few.
Potentially modifying editor presentations to remove the hours is also very easy. You could also just ignore the fields.

You could make all items Top Level work items or execution items. Please note that you'd loose some planning capabilities by making everything an execution item please refere to http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/learnmore/ for details on planning. However you could do so.

I think what you'd loose is several mechanisms for scaling SCRUM up to bigger and distributed teams.

Ralph

quote="merzberger1"]Hello
The way I learned Scrum, there is no planning by time. All you have are Epics and User Stories; There are no Tasks.

2. Declare User Stories to be the Execution Items (along with Defects). This way, I should be able to see the progress of an Epic.

Has anyone tried to use RTC to support Scrum in such a consequent way? Is there a process template available for this?

Thanks! Martin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered May 04 '10, 4:05 a.m.
Martin,

removing tasks is a matter of few clicks.
Adding story points to other items is a matter of another few.
Potentially modifying editor presentations to remove the hours is also very easy. You could also just ignore the fields.

You could make all items Top Level work items or execution items. Please note that you'd loose some planning capabilities by making everything an execution item please refer to http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/learnmore/ for details on planning. However you could do so.

I think what you'd loose is several mechanisms for scaling SCRUM up to bigger and distributed teams.

Ralph

quote="merzberger1"]Hello

Thanks! Martin

permanent link
Martin Erzberger (131199) | answered May 04 '10, 12:33 p.m.
...removing tasks is a matter of few clicks....

Thanks for your reply!
These initial modifications seem to be easy. What seems more difficult is stuff like:
- Team load: This would now have to be counted in Story Points, not hours.
- User Configuration: Again, instead of work hours one would need "Story Point Capacity" or something equivalent.
Essentially, I would like to have an RTC environment without any time-based accounting at all.

Best regards, Martin

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered May 04 '10, 1:39 p.m.
Martin,

I don't think you can remove the load. I haven't tried that but what happens if you make everything a top level work item?

If that does not work you could ignore it, hope for a better answer or consider writing a work item.

Ralph

Thanks for your reply!
These initial modifications seem to be easy. What seems more difficult is stuff like:
- User Configuration: Again, instead of work hours one would need "Story Point Capacity" or something equivalent.
Essentially, I would like to have an RTC environment without any time-based accounting at all.

Best regards, Martin

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered May 04 '10, 2:35 p.m.
From recent experience, setting every work item type to 'top-level' is not a great idea. Progress will show 0 / NNNN forever.

Martin,

I don't think you can remove the load. I haven't tried that but what happens if you make everything a top level work item?

If that does not work you could ignore it, hope for a better answer or consider writing a work item.

Ralph

Thanks for your reply!

Best regards, Martin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.