It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Usage of BuildEngine on system-i

Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | asked Apr 22 '10, 7:25 a.m.
retagged Jun 24 '12, 4:32 a.m. by Arne Bister (2.6k12832)
Hy,

we are using RTCp on System-i V5R4 and WAS6.1.
My question is:

I have 2 Projects(one for demo and education, on for development). Can I use the same BuildEngine for those
projects?

Thanks for answers.

Andreas

7 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Apr 22 '10, 2:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, a single JBE can support multiple build definitions, and those definitions may be in separate projects.

Just ensure that:
- the user specified on the JBE command line has the relevant Build and SCM permissions in the process areas associated with both build definitions (or their parent process areas)
- each build definition has its own build workspace (for proper isolation of changes)

It's also recommended that each build definition have its own load directory, particularly if the "delete before build" option is unchecked. You can use the ${buildDefinitionId} substitution if needed.

permanent link
Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | answered Apr 23 '10, 2:27 a.m.
Yes, a single JBE can support multiple build definitions, and those definitions may be in separate projects.

Just ensure that:
- the user specified on the JBE command line has the relevant Build and SCM permissions in the process areas associated with both build definitions (or their parent process areas)
- each build definition has its own build workspace (for proper isolation of changes)

It's also recommended that each build definition have its own load directory, particularly if the "delete before build" option is unchecked. You can use the ${buildDefinitionId} substitution if needed.

Thanks Nick for your answer. I've found the problem today. It's only a little problem with understanding RTCp and RDp. I've thougt each project needs a BuildEngine, but now I've understood that I must only create the BuildDefinition for each Project with the i-mapping libraries needed.

I hope for the future, that I will not make so easy mistakes.
Thanks

Andreas

permanent link
Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | answered Apr 23 '10, 3:02 a.m.
Can I use the BuildSpecification for more projects or must I create the BuildSpecifications for each project?

Andreas

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Apr 23 '10, 12:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm not all that familiar with the BuildSpecification concept in RTC/p, but if it's a separate file referred to by the build definition, then I would expect it to be possible to share it across build definitions, as long as the build workspace for each had access to the same file.

permanent link
Kushal Munir (126103) | answered Apr 23 '10, 12:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andreas,

A few questions:

- Are the i Projects different applications?

- Do you simply need to load and build the projects into different libraries on the same system?

If they are separate applications and you just need to build them in different libraries, then you can simply create two different build definitions and select the project that you want to build in each build definition. You can use the same build engine for both build definitions.

Note that each project will have to have its build specification which will be used to determine what to compile and what commands to run.

Can I use the BuildSpecification for more projects or must I create the BuildSpecifications for each project?

Andreas

permanent link
Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | answered Apr 26 '10, 2:19 a.m.
Hi Andreas,

A few questions:

- Do you simply need to load and build the projects into different libraries on the same system?

If they are separate applications and you just need to build them in different libraries, then you can simply create two different build definitions and select the project that you want to build in each build definition. You can use the same build engine for both build definitions.

Note that each project will have to have its build specification which will be used to determine what to compile and what commands to run.

Andreas

I have two project areas with one team area for each project.
One is for Demo's and education and the other is our developement.

The sources we use for demo and education are similiar to those in development. The demo project only uses different libraries.

permanent link
Kushal Munir (126103) | answered Apr 29 '10, 4:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andreas,

Since they are in two different project areas, you will certainly need two build definitions, one in each project area, to build the source in the project areas. You will also need a build specification in each project.

Cheers,
Kushal

Hi Andreas,

A few questions:

Andreas

I have two project areas with one team area for each project.
One is for Demo's and education and the other is our developement.

The sources we use for demo and education are similiar to those in development. The demo project only uses different libraries.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.