It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installation Manager hangs in LInux (Ubuntu)

Lothar Kappen (11611912) | asked Mar 23 '10, 1:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Trying to install RTC 2.0.0.2iFix in Ubuntu 9.10

- II start the launchpad, select any installation type (always same behaviour)
- The installation manager starts up and shows the packages
- I select any (does not matter which one) and click next
- It loads some sharable entities and shows the license agreement page
- I accept and click next

... and nothing happens from here on

I checked the log file, no errors but the last click does not produce any entry in the log file

8 answers

permanent link
Lothar Kappen (11611912) | answered Mar 23 '10, 1:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Just an additional remark:
when i close the launchpad, the Terminal cats a file saying

"Unable to find supported browser
An error occurred while starting the Rational Team Concert launchpad."

permanent link
Sergio Deras (14613) | answered Mar 26 '10, 1:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, that message is expected in Ubuntu.
I have tried in my Ubuntu machine (9.10 - Karmic Koala).
I have downloaded the RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix 1 (Web Install) Express for Linux.
After that I gave the file execution permissions and the I ran the sh script, that load the launchpad and there I unchecked the checkbox in order to install as a non-Admin user and I was able to start the installation.

May you describe a little more the steps that you are following to start the launchpad please?

Just an additional remark:
when i close the launchpad, the Terminal cats a file saying

"Unable to find supported browser
An error occurred while starting the Rational Team Concert launchpad."

permanent link
Sergio Deras (14613) | answered Mar 29 '10, 1:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Lothar contacted me this mourning:

The LP does work in Ubuntu.
His problem was that Ubuntu 9.10 (I do not remember that the previous version had the same problem) works in a weird way with the Eclipse environments, the issue is with the buttons.
The problem is you cannot press the command buttons with a simple click, you must:
1) Click the button.
2) Leave the button that you want to press
3) Click in any other place of the Eclipse screen and keep the click.
4) Go over the button and the release the click.

This makes that the button works, but it is not really desirable.
That was the problem, IM is an Eclipse RCP, so it suffers the same thing that the other RCP like RTC over Ubuntu. We were able to install the product in Ubuntu.

There is one fix to use the buttons as they normally work, use this script and save it to a file.

#!/bin/sh

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner
`pwd`/eclipse "$@"

This file should be copied to the eclipse folder of the product that we use. And the eclipse product should be started using this file instead of the eclipse executable. So in the shortcuts, the eclipse startup script should be changed in the properties of the shortcut to point to this file, all the other properties should remain as they are.
This solves the problem of the buttons.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered May 18 '10, 6:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

His problem was that Ubuntu 9.10 (I do not remember that the previous version had the same problem) works in a weird way with the Eclipse environments, the issue is with the buttons.
The problem is you cannot press the command buttons with a simple click, you must:
1) Click the button.

That was the problem, IM is an Eclipse RCP, so it suffers the same thing that the other RCP like RTC over Ubuntu. We were able to install the product in Ubuntu.

There is one fix to use the buttons as they normally work, use this script and save it to a file.

#!/bin/sh

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner
`pwd`/eclipse "$@"

This file should be copied to the eclipse folder of the product that we use. And the eclipse product should be started using this file instead of the eclipse executable. So in the shortcuts, the eclipse startup script should be changed in the properties of the shortcut to point to this file, all the other properties should remain as they are.
This solves the problem of the buttons.

Hi

I am experimenting installing RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix2 on to Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit server with the Desktop bits installed to get a GUI. I can start Launchpad, but when I select the option to install the server, it claims it cannot find a file/directory. I can see it does exist (it is the .../install directory - which is visible and is rwx to ugo.

The silent install using the "install" command does not work as -input is an invalid option on this version of the install program

Any suggestions?

thanks

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered May 20 '10, 7:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi

I am experimenting installing RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix2 on to Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit server with the Desktop bits installed to get a GUI. I can start Launchpad, but when I select the option to install the server, it claims it cannot find a file/directory. I can see it does exist (it is the .../install directory - which is visible and is rwx to ugo.

The silent install using the "install" command does not work as -input is an invalid option on this version of the install program

Any suggestions?

thanks

anthony

Realised I was probably making my life too hard - the zip version of the install works perfectly fine and is very quick :-)

anthony

permanent link
Paul Harouff (6) | answered Jun 14 '10, 4:07 p.m.

1) Click the button.

I am having the exact same problem installing on openSUSE 11.2. Thank you for explaining the button problem. I still need to try installing your script. But for now, at least I know how to make the buttons work.

permanent link
John Butorac (262) | answered Dec 29 '10, 9:28 p.m.

Hi

Any suggestions?

thanks

anthony

Realised I was probably making my life too hard - the zip version of the install works perfectly fine and is very quick :-)

anthony

I am trying to install RTC3 on Ubuntu and am getting a similar error message. Not sure I understand how you resolved this issue on RTC2?

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Dec 30 '10, 11:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi

Any suggestions?

thanks

anthony

anthony

I am trying to install RTC3 on Ubuntu and am getting a similar error message. Not sure I understand how you resolved this issue on RTC2?

Hi John

I sort-of cheated with RTC 2 - we supplied zipped versions of RTC (server an client) so all I had to do was unzip the client and the server. We still have zipped versions of the client, but not the server in RTC3 - so this will not help you. You can create your own "zipped" version of the server, but then you need to have installed it in the first place :-(

I recommend checking back in the installation notes to make sure you have followed the instructions. Also try and use sudo to start the launchpad so it installs as admin. I still have my linux box, so if I get the chance, I will rerun the install to see if I still get the same problems (and what I have to do to fix).

In the meantime, I am sure other people have managed to install this without problems and may be able to comment here.

regards

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.