It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Differences among RTC/Jazz and Other Rational Products.

Suresh Krishna (66152) | asked Mar 04 '10, 2:03 p.m.
I worked on Jazz/RTC for few tutorials an year ago. Now, i am planning-planning to write a book on "Software Project Infrastructures" and one of the topic is the Rational Team Concert and Jazz.

When i look on the jazz.net site, i see many other Rational Products such as Rational Requirements Composer, Rational Project Conductor, Quality Manager and Rational Test Lab Manager, Rational Build Forge and others. Though i looked at the project/product descriptions of all these, i am missing the relation between the RTC/Jazz and these other products.

So, few questions are...
#1 Is there any interesting/easy way to describe the relationship between these different products ?
#2 If one needs to start a project and want to setup the project Infrastructure, is it not enough to get a license of the RTC and Jazz ?
#3 I know that the RTC has the Project DashBoards and project Health monitors. What additional functionality is provided on the Rational Project Conductor ?
#4 Is "Collaborative ALM" a Marketing term for RTC/Jazz or it's a different product ?

Any other help on resources/presentations are deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Krishna
mskrsna@gmail.com

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 04 '10, 5:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I worked on Jazz/RTC for few tutorials an year ago. Now, i am planning-planning to write a book on "Software Project Infrastructures" and one of the topic is the Rational Team Concert and Jazz.

When i look on the jazz.net site, i see many other Rational Products such as Rational Requirements Composer, Rational Project Conductor, Quality Manager and Rational Test Lab Manager, Rational Build Forge and others. Though i looked at the project/product descriptions of all these, i am missing the relation between the RTC/Jazz and these other products.

So, few questions are...
#1 Is there any interesting/easy way to describe the relationship between these different products ?
#2 If one needs to start a project and want to setup the project Infrastructure, is it not enough to get a license of the RTC and Jazz ?
#3 I know that the RTC has the Project DashBoards and project Health monitors. What additional functionality is provided on the Rational Project Conductor ?
#4 Is "Collaborative ALM" a Marketing term for RTC/Jazz or it's a different product ?

Any other help on resources/presentations are deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Krishna
mskrsna@gmail.com

Hi Suresh

You should find all the info you need here on jazz.net. As a starting point, let me try and have a go at explaining some of these things:

#1 Remember that Jazz is the platform, then there are products that make use of the platform. RTC is one, RPC is another, so is RRC, and RQM. RTC is just the first product we shipped on the jazz platform.

#2 First of all - you can only buy the products. So you can't buy Jazz as such, only RTC (which includes the client and server bits). If you have a team that is looking for a development-focused environment, then RTC may be all you need. However, if you want to do other kinds of requirements, you might add RRC. If you need more formal test planning, you would add RQM, etc.

#3 Rational Project Conductor is a planning tool - so has a lot of things above and beyond RTC (such as Gantt charts, timesheets, etc). Take a look at the RPC pages here on jazz.net for a better overview.

#4 Collaborative ALM is not a product - more a marketing term that describes what the Jazz platform does.

Good luck with the book

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.