It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use of Task Estimate & Correction

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Mar 03 '10, 11:02 a.m.
What is the proper way to use the Task Correction field? Let's say I estimate a task at 2d. Later, it looks like maybe a day and a half. I enter 12h in the Correction field. When I finally complete the task and it only took me 6h, do I go in again and set the correction to 6h before I mark the task complete?

Thanks!

Chris

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 03 '10, 5:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
That is what I have my team do. Agile planning team: if that is not
correct, please let us know (:-).

Cheers,
Geoff

cbarlock wrote:
What is the proper way to use the Task Correction field? Let's say I
estimate a task at 2d. Later, it looks like maybe a day and a half.
I enter 12h in the Correction field. When I finally complete the task
and it only took me 6h, do I go in again and set the correction to 6h
before I mark the task complete?

Thanks!

Chris

permanent link
Eric Clark (11) | answered Feb 22 '13, 8:41 a.m.
I hate to be the guy answering a 2 year old question... but I found my way here, so someone else might also!

The estimate is your initial estimate of how long a task will take.

The correction, if it is filled in, overrides the estimate. This should be used for "Oh no, I typed in the estimate wrong" or "Drat, I forgot to take into account blah, and should have put that in the original estimate" or "Oops, my assumption was way off when estimating, now that I am thinking clearer it should take this long"

I don't agree with setting the correction to match the time spent. If you do this you would never get a metric on how well you are estimating. You might want to spot trends if you find your actuals are consistently off with your estimates or corrections.

I only have 2 sprints under my belt, so feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong! :-)

Happy Scruming,
Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.