It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using scm Move function in RTC 4.0.0.1 windows shell integration and file history

Sean Brogan (1665) | asked Mar 28 '13, 10:15 p.m.
 hi,

We can't use eclipse projects so I have been looking for a different method to move a directory with files from one component to another in RTC while maintaining the file history.

I thought  the Windows Shell client was going to support it and in fact it worked except all history was lost. I was under the impression that RTC SCM could support move operations while maintaining history.  

Did I do something wrong?  Is there a better way without using eclipse projects? 

Using RTC 4.0.0.1 on windows.  Any client is acceptable except eclipse with project files.  

Thanks
Sean

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 29 '13, 12:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just for interest's sake, assuming this is an operation you don't need to do very often, what's the problem with using Eclipse for it?   Just don't check in the auto-created .project files.

Sean Brogan commented Mar 29 '13, 12:26 p.m.

Since this would be a process I would like the individual developers on the team to be capable of doing I think creating .project files will lead to all sorts of accidental issues.  If its the only option i understand but I was just hoping for other options. 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 29 '13, 4:37 p.m.

I always use Eclipse for these kinds of moves, so I'll defer to others on whether this can be done with any of the other clients (command line, Visual Studio, or Windows Shell).

2 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered Mar 31 '13, 8:52 p.m.
You can only move the directories in Windows Shell's own context menu(right click and move) to preserve the history, otherwise the history will be gone if you tried on Windows explorer's move manually. Rename has similar problem which was discussed here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/77689/rename-in-rtc-shell-windows-explorer-integration

There is RFE for it: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=231609

Comments
Sean Brogan commented Apr 01 '13, 1:01 p.m. | edited Apr 01 '13, 3:33 p.m.

I used the Right Click -> RTC -> Move.  Then the RTC dialog popup with the location to move to.  I selected the new directory and RTC did the operation.  

The end result was two changesets.  One was a remove from the original component and the other was an add to the new location in a different component.  No history was maintained.  

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 01 '13, 3:34 p.m.

Yes, I see the same behavior.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 01 '13, 3:33 p.m.
I agree the requested behavior is what I'd like to see happen, and have submitted work item A cross-component move from the RTC menu should be tracked as a move, rather than a delete/add (258652) .  Please feel free to add a comment to that work item indicating your interest/support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.