It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Vitrual machine in RQM

sanfi faria (9613218) | asked Feb 25 '10, 8:58 a.m.
Hi,

Could anyone please give a brief idea about the concept of Virtual machine and virtual image in RQM Lab management. I would like to know more about the use of .vmx file and its contents. i.e whether the data that is mentioned in the .vmx file corresponds to only the machine specification or does it really contain the actual image of the software that is included in the .vmx file

Thanks in advance
Sanfi Faria

4 answers

permanent link
Patrick Van Zandt (1.2k1) | answered Feb 26 '10, 1:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rqmhelp/v2r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.lm.doc/topics/t_crevirtualimages.html
You can create data for virtual images to track in the lab management tool. A virtual image is a .vmx file that consists of software to be used as a basis for applications under test. For example, you could set up a base image .vmx file consisting of a Windows XP, SP2 operating system and security software for the English language. You would then assign it a name (for example, WinXP-SP2-eng.vmx) and save it. When you deploy the image onto a physical machine and rename the image, it becomes a virtual machine. You could then load an application for testing onto the virtual machine. Virtual images can easily be reused, which can save time setting up additional testing environments.

permanent link
Masayuki Hayashi (111) | answered Mar 05 '10, 12:27 a.m.
Hi,
Can RQM integrate with VMware to do VMware operation ( VM creation etc. ) from RQM user interface ?

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Mar 08 '10, 4:02 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There were talks with VM Logix and Surgient at one point to integrate their respective products with RQM to enable deployment from the RQM UI but to be honest I don't know what ultimately happened with that effort. If you are integrating with either of those solutions it might be worth following up with them.
We have discussed adding various hypervisor integrations for many releases but nothing has come of it yet. It would be worth creating an enhancement request and seeing where it goes.
Regards,
John

Hi,
Can RQM integrate with VMware to do VMware operation ( VM creation etc. ) from RQM user interface ?

permanent link
viktor sannikov (6) | answered Apr 25 '11, 5:09 a.m.
Was anything changed since you wrote it? And where i can see "enhancement requests"?

There were talks with VM Logix and Surgient at one point to integrate their respective products with RQM to enable deployment from the RQM UI but to be honest I don't know what ultimately happened with that effort. If you are integrating with either of those solutions it might be worth following up with them.
We have discussed adding various hypervisor integrations for many releases but nothing has come of it yet. It would be worth creating an enhancement request and seeing where it goes.
Regards,
John

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.