It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC server synchronization

Graham Newton (111) | asked Feb 14 '10, 9:26 a.m.
I am looking at introducing RTC to my organization. The development team has members in both the US and UK. We want to work on the same repository but the comms link between the two offices isn't very good which suggests having two RTC servers. Can RTC servers be synchronized or is there a better way?
Links to relevent articles would be appreciated, most articles I found were for clearcase/quest synchronization.

Thanks
Graham

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 14 '10, 9:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am looking at introducing RTC to my organization. The development team has members in both the US and UK. We want to work on the same repository but the comms link between the two offices isn't very good which suggests having two RTC servers. Can RTC servers be synchronized or is there a better way?
Links to relevent articles would be appreciated, most articles I found were for clearcase/quest synchronization.

Thanks
Graham

Hi Graham

RTC works as as single server only. However, don't give up yet - try putting a server in one office and a client on each side of the Atlantic and see what the performance is like. RTC can work well in low-performance networks because of the way it talks between the client and the server, and the clients are quite clever about caching info, so they only really need to go to the network when they really have to.

Once you have your clients/server installed - use the Metronome tool built in the Eclipse client to check your actual performance. This will give you a good idea of what your network is like from an RTC perspective.

If that does not give good results (network still too slow) - the next step is to install a HTTP/HTTPS proxy server on the site(s) that do not contain the server. This can speed up performance on remote sites dramatically.

Ask more questions here on the forum if you need help

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.