It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to display new Custom attributes on pre-existing WIs

Christophe Lucas (86224948) | asked Aug 24 '10, 12:40 p.m.
When one creates a new Custom Attribute - with corresponding new field appearing on Custom tab - this new Custom field is not visible on all Work Items that were created *before* the new Custom Attribute/field was defined, i.e. it is visible/editable only on new Work Items submitted after the new Custom Attribute creation.

Is there a way to 'propagate' the newly created Custom Attribute/Fields to pre-existing Work Items ?

7 answers

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Aug 24 '10, 3:59 p.m.
When one creates a new Custom Attribute - with corresponding new field appearing on Custom tab - this new Custom field is not visible on all Work Items that were created *before* the new Custom Attribute/field was defined, i.e. it is visible/editable only on new Work Items submitted after the new Custom Attribute creation.

Is there a way to 'propagate' the newly created Custom Attribute/Fields to pre-existing Work Items ?

Yes: Load the work items in RTC client, select all/some, right click on the column with the ICON, choose Synchronize Attributes....

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86224948) | answered Aug 24 '10, 4:15 p.m.
Thanks Kevin, works just fine indeed.

permanent link
Tim Preece (611) | answered Oct 06 '10, 5:46 a.m.
I find synchronize attributes works well for newly created custom attributes.

But if I delete a custom attribute how can I now remove this field from pre-existing work items?

permanent link
Sheetal Desai (91188) | answered Oct 13 '10, 3:54 p.m.
What icon do I need to click to select synchronize?

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86224948) | answered Oct 13 '10, 4:24 p.m.
What icon do I need to click to select synchronize?

Select the 'Type' Icon (i.e. Task, Defect etc) in your Query, right-click 'Synchronize Attributes', and bulk-update with your Eclipse RTC Client.

permanent link
Douglas Trottman (5674) | answered Oct 13 '10, 9:08 p.m.
Be sure you do not have any Relationships options chosen when issuing the query. If you do, the icon becomes part of the Summary column and there is no Icon column to right-click on.

permanent link
Mautea Chaik (6) | answered Oct 14 '10, 4:15 p.m.

Thanks for this hint, i was having similar problems trying to configure my WI, actually i thought it was broken, my this hint fixed the problem for me. Thanks again

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.