It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Multiple server instances on one single database repository

Alexander Schinko (35511812) | asked Feb 05 '10, 5:14 a.m.
For testing purposes I was able to run two Jazz RTC Servers sharing the same single oracle database repository.

As this configuration is not documented, I'd like to know if there have been any tests done, that this setup is working stable and consistant?

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 22 '12, 7:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It would get confused, because there is no way that the two JTS's could determine which data belongs to them. The schema is not made for this use case. To avoid users shooting themselves into the foot, for instance during an upgrade like the one to 3.x, the applications lock their DB and detect if multiple apps try to access it. hence the error.

permanent link
Alexander Schinko (35511812) | answered Feb 08 '10, 12:25 p.m.
Opened a work item:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=105425

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 08 '10, 1:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For testing purposes I was able to run two Jazz RTC Servers sharing the same single oracle database repository.

As is configuration is not documented, I'd like to know if there have been any tests done, that this setup is working stable and consistant?

I suspect RTC would get very confused. To be clear, you want to run both RTC apps connecting to the same database tables?

anthony

p.s There is working on clustering going on - and we can already run two RTC instances with one as a standby.

permanent link
Alexander Schinko (35511812) | answered Feb 09 '10, 4:05 a.m.
I don't see why the application should get confused. The maximum risk would be that there are two concurrent repository transactions on the same db entry and one might fail and has to be repeated.

permanent link
Dustan Daniel (3921823) | answered Aug 22 '12, 6:37 a.m.
From my tests with trying to connect 2 separate JTS's on different machines to the same DB server, using the same logical Jazz DBs, this was not possible, and received the following message:

CRJAZ1770E The configured database lock id does not match the lock id in the database.
This can happen if 2 applications or Jazz Team Servers are trying to access the same set of
tables, or if the lock id was overwritten or lost in the teamserver.properties configuration file.
Check the server configuration and the database connection spec and ensure they are correct.
To recover from an emergency lockout, the lock can be reset using the 'repotools -resetRepoLockId'
command. Check the log file for information on the affected database.

When one JTS setup was finished, it placed a lock on the DBs, therefore disallowing me to connect my second JTS to the same DBs. I was unsuccessful in using the repotools command above to remove the lock to complete the setup of my second JTS.

The reason for this test was to try setup a 'manual' DR or Idle Standby strategy. Anyone have any reference material of DR,High Availability or Idle Standby using Tomcat?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.