It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can admins delete files?

Walter Mansur (63613017) | asked Jan 27 '10, 9:11 a.m.
I am trying to follow the instructions for deleting a file and I can't seem to be able to accomplish this task.

Instructions from RTC help:

Deleting repository files or folders
You can use the Web client to delete file or folders in the repository.
About this task
To delete a file or folder:

1. On the Source Control page, navigate to the stream, component, and folder where you want to delete contents.
2. Select the file(s) or folder(s) that you want to remove.
3. Click Delete.
4. Confirm the deletion.

When I go onto the Web UI and select the file I want to delete, there is no option to "Delete" it.

Background info:

A user somehow created a file with the same name as an existing file in the repository. The original file is all uppercase, the new one is lowercase. Now, other developers can't load their work spaces because they get an error saying that the uppercase file can't be loaded until the lowercase file is deleted. The developer who created the "evil twin" here realized his mistake, and copied the lines he wants from the lowercase file into the uppercase file. Now we want to delete the lowercase file and deliver the uppercase one.

I am a member of the JazzAdmins group. I have tried loading a new workspace in the project and I can't get it fully loaded because I get the error seen by everyone else. I was able to get another developer on the project to update the .jazzignore file with the name of the lowercase file so that this won't happen again. I don't know if that will help us in this particular case.

Thanks for any help with this. We used to run into this "evil twin" issue in Base ClearCase and we were able to resolve it easily by deleting the wrong file after getting the contents of the file that we wanted into the correct file.

Our environment:
RTC Server v2.0
RTC Clients v2.0.0.1
Windows XP SP3

-Walter

One answer

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Jan 27 '10, 4:37 p.m.
The answer to this is: "Yes, of course you can. If you have nerves of steel".

Thanks to Heather Fraser-Dube for the following tip on how to do it. I found out that the instructions for using the Web UI for file deletion only work in RTC v2.0.0.2.

Here is the tip:

What I would suggest to get around this is :

For example purposes Suppose the problematic files are "ABC.txt" and "abc.txt". You want to delete "ABC.txt" and keep "abc.txt".

Revert your .jazzignore file to not ignore the problem file.

Load, the load will tell you about the file that it couldn't load because it encountered with the case issue.
However, one copy of the abc file (either ABC.txt or abc.txt) got loaded.
Locate that file and delete it.
Checkin the deletion, when you do this you will get a warning dialog telling you that you should proceed with caution. Click OK and have the deletion checked in.
Reload the component again. This time it should load without problems.
If the file you deleted is the version you didn't want, you are done
If the file you deleted is the version you want, locate the file ("ABC.txt") and delete it.
Checkin the deletion into the same change set. Now both versions of the file are deleted.
In the change set select the file you want to keep ("abc.txt") and from the context menu choose to undo that change.
Now you are done.

You only need to deliver the change set.

End of tip.

We did just what Heather suggested (we had to delete both files and then undo the deletion of one of them) and it worked for us.

I am trying to follow the instructions for deleting a file and I can't seem to be able to accomplish this task.

Instructions from RTC help:

Deleting repository files or folders
You can use the Web client to delete file or folders in the repository.
About this task
To delete a file or folder:

1. On the Source Control page, navigate to the stream, component, and folder where you want to delete contents.
2. Select the file(s) or folder(s) that you want to remove.
3. Click Delete.
4. Confirm the deletion.

When I go onto the Web UI and select the file I want to delete, there is no option to "Delete" it.

Background info:

A user somehow created a file with the same name as an existing file in the repository. The original file is all uppercase, the new one is lowercase. Now, other developers can't load their work spaces because they get an error saying that the uppercase file can't be loaded until the lowercase file is deleted. The developer who created the "evil twin" here realized his mistake, and copied the lines he wants from the lowercase file into the uppercase file. Now we want to delete the lowercase file and deliver the uppercase one.

I am a member of the JazzAdmins group. I have tried loading a new workspace in the project and I can't get it fully loaded because I get the error seen by everyone else. I was able to get another developer on the project to update the .jazzignore file with the name of the lowercase file so that this won't happen again. I don't know if that will help us in this particular case.

Thanks for any help with this. We used to run into this "evil twin" issue in Base ClearCase and we were able to resolve it easily by deleting the wrong file after getting the contents of the file that we wanted into the correct file.

Our environment:
RTC Server v2.0
RTC Clients v2.0.0.1
Windows XP SP3

-Walter

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.