It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Integrate Rational Softwar Analyzer 7.1 with RTC 3.0 iFix1

Keith Wedinger (3154) | asked Jun 27 '11, 1:47 p.m.
Here is a summary of my RTC environment.

I have the RTC server running on one system. On another system (Linux based), I have the RTC Build System Toolkit running to service RTC build requests.

I now want to integrate Rational Software Analyzer into the RTC Build System Toolkit so that I can perform static analysis during RTC builds.

The link below appears to indicate that this is possible but I am not clear on how to do the necessary configuration to make this happen.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rsarhelp/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xtools.analysis.rsar.common.doc/topics/c_install_rtc.html

How do I configure the RTC build system toolkit so that it can perform static analysis during builds?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 28 '11, 3:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here is a summary of my RTC environment.

I have the RTC server running on one system. On another system (Linux based), I have the RTC Build System Toolkit running to service RTC build requests.

I now want to integrate Rational Software Analyzer into the RTC Build System Toolkit so that I can perform static analysis during RTC builds.

The link below appears to indicate that this is possible but I am not clear on how to do the necessary configuration to make this happen.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rsarhelp/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xtools.analysis.rsar.common.doc/topics/c_install_rtc.html

How do I configure the RTC build system toolkit so that it can perform static analysis during builds?

Hi Keith,

RSAR can be installed in a shell sharing option into the RTC Eclipse client. If you do this you have additional client preconditions that allow you to prevent check in of files without RSAR testing and compliance rating. Please be aware of version restrictions. Last time I checked RSAR could work in RTC2.x not 3.x. This needs to be checked and on the client integration depends on the eclipse version RSAR installs into.

Similar to other tools like RSAR, I assume, RSAR Enterprise could be run in a headless mode during a build. That means you would essentially hook it into the build scripts and run RSAR from there, collect result data for the builds and publish that result data using the build system Ant tasks back to the build result. This would be similar to any tool used in the build, such as compiler, etc.

The only integration needed in this case would be a way to run RSAR and publish results back. Dependencies on installed eclise versions would be of no concern, because RSAR would run independently on the build server(s). Integration would be the build scripts and Ant build tasks.

permanent link
Keith Wedinger (3154) | answered Jun 28 '11, 6:51 a.m.
I have a couple of follow up questions.

1. Can you confirm that RSAR 7.1 incompatible with RTC 3.0?
2. If the answer to #1 above is Yes, then what are my other options to perform static code analysis with RTC? My project is using Maven which provides support for doing code analysis. Is it possible to integrate Maven's reports into RTC?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 28 '11, 7:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a couple of follow up questions.

1. Can you confirm that RSAR 7.1 incompatible with RTC 3.0?
2. If the answer to #1 above is Yes, then what are my other options to perform static code analysis with RTC? My project is using Maven which provides support for doing code analysis. Is it possible to integrate Maven's reports into RTC?

If you follow the link you supplied above you can read that only RTC 1.x and 2.x are supported.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/09/whatsnewrationalsoftwareanalyzer7-1/index.html#1.Integration%20with%20Rational%20Team%20Concert provides also the reason: RSAR 7.1 is Eclipse 3.4 based.

* You can use RSAR to do code analysis you would however not install in the same shell. You could import the projects, ran the analysis, even fix things. In RTC after a refresh you could check in and deliver the changes.
* You could use RSAR or any other tool in build scrips for the RTC Build Engine as I tried to describe in principle above.
* You could use Maven with RTC too. Some details are described in the Integrations link on the Rational Team Concert project page.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.