It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CSV import difficulty with Timeline

Travis Pouarz (11111) | asked Jan 06 '10, 2:08 p.m.
First, I should mention that I'm new to RTC. I'm using the 2.0.0.2 client. I believe the Project was setup to use the Scrum process.

I'm trying to import and create Tasks from items in a bug-tracker from which we're migrating away. I've got the data in a CSV file ready for import. On a Test Project, the import worked fine. In the real thing, I'm having trouble though.

My server admin says that the CSV importer reports this error: Iteration Release 1.0 is archived, but its child iteration Release 13.1 is not.

I realize that that's probably a result of my trying to setup my project's timeline to define a Release 13.1 and Release 14.1. When I look at the Project Area config, those releases appear to be siblings of Release 1.0. And I think I "Deleted" 1.0 which makes it archived (apparently) and I don't see a way to undo that. But I don't see the parent/child relationship that the error message is talking about.

I took a screenshot of the timeline: http://ziphstric.com/tmp/rtc-dev-timeling.png

Any hints on how I can resolve this would be very much appreciated.

11 answers

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Jan 07 '10, 5:08 a.m.
On 06.01.2010 8:22, travisp wrote:
First, I should mention that I'm new to RTC. I'm using the 2.0.0.2
client. I believe the Project was setup to use the Scrum process.

I'm trying to import and create Tasks from items in a bug-tracker from
which we're migrating away. I've got the data in a CSV file ready for
import. On a Test Project, the import worked fine. In the real
thing, I'm having trouble though.

My server admin says that the CSV importer reports this error:
Iteration Release 1.0 is archived, but its child iteration Release
13.1 is not.

I realize that that's probably a result of my trying to setup my
project's timeline to define a Release 13.1 and Release 14.1. When I
look at the Project Area config, those releases appear to be siblings
of Release 1.0. And I think I "Deleted" 1.0 which makes it
archived (apparently) and I don't see a way to undo that. But I don't
see the parent/child relationship that the error message is talking
about.

I took a screenshot of the timeline:
http://ziphstric.com/tmp/rtc-dev-timeling.png

Any hints on how I can resolve this would be very much appreciated.

Can not access the screenshot. You dont have to create iterations when
importing, only the timeline needs to be present (in 2.0.0.2),
iterations will be created on the fly.

Whats the format used for the "Planned For" value in your CSV. Does it
follow the "/<timeline>/<iteration>" syntax?

I can only argue that the importer tries to put the tasks into an
iteration that is archived and thus returns this error. Maybe you have
set a filter to exclude archived timelines and thus dont see them?

--
Benjamin Pasero
Work Item & UI Commons Team

permanent link
Travis Pouarz (11111) | answered Jan 07 '10, 12:23 p.m.
Whats the format used for the "Planned For" value in your CSV. Does it follow the "/<timeline>/<iteration>" syntax?

It uses the display name ("Release 13.1" in this case). The CSV instructions said to do that (use display names).

iteration that is archived and thus returns this error.

Hmm, maybe if I hadn't pre-created the iteration? I don't see how to un-archive an iteration. Is that possible?

Maybe you have set a filter to exclude archived timelines and thus dont see them?

I don't think so... unless such a filter exists by default. I see what appear to be "archived" iterations in gray. (It's weird to me that you couldn't see the screenshot.)

permanent link
Travis Pouarz (11111) | answered Jan 07 '10, 4:56 p.m.
I did try and re-parent the archived iterations under an archived development line -- to try and get them "out of the way".

That worked! The next import attempt was successful. :)

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Jan 08 '10, 6:53 a.m.
On 07.01.2010 11:07, travisp wrote:
I did try and re-parent the archived iterations under an archived
development line -- to try and get them "out of the way".

That worked! The next import attempt was successful. :)

Great!

--
Benjamin Pasero
Work Item & UI Commons Team

permanent link
Aysim Dalmau (613) | answered Apr 13 '10, 4:54 p.m.
Hi, I have the same question. I indicated the "display name" for the Planned For attibute in the CSV file. Although the display name is accurately entered in CSV, the import function still doesn't add the imported work item to the plan. I find the work item by running the "recently created" predfied query, click on the down arrow next to the unique id of the task on the top of the window and select "show work item in plan". Then I get a
"The team <my> has no plan for Iteration <display>. Would you like to create one?

I do have a plan for the requested iteration plan, and I actually have a couple test stories in it.

thank you

Aysim

Whats the format used for the "Planned For" value in your CSV. Does it follow the "/<timeline>/<iteration>" syntax?

It uses the display name ("Release 13.1" in this case). The CSV instructions said to do that (use display names).

iteration that is archived and thus returns this error.

Hmm, maybe if I hadn't pre-created the iteration? I don't see how to un-archive an iteration. Is that possible?

Maybe you have set a filter to exclude archived timelines and thus dont see them?

I don't think so... unless such a filter exists by default. I see what appear to be "archived" iterations in gray. (It's weird to me that you couldn't see the screenshot.)

permanent link
Basil Kanneth (213) | answered May 05 '10, 2:50 p.m.
Hi,

I've managed to use the the new CSV import functionality within RTC to create workitems, but all the work items that get created are opened as 'New'. Is there a way for me to directly create workitems via CSV import that are in 'In Progress' or 'Done' state ? Also, is there a way that I can update the Status from 'New' to 'In Progress' via CSV import ?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Basil

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered May 06 '10, 7:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I think if you try to export a query to CSV and add the state and resolution and other required columns you should be able to see the values e.g. for the states.

I would assume if you import your CSV file with a column for state and reasonable values the state should be set. Also, the import should allow updating other values (if the ID is a column and the work item with that ID exists.).

You might also want to look into the mapping capabilities (advanced optins in the import) to map external state names to internal ones if required.

Ralph

Hi,

I've managed to use the the new CSV import functionality within RTC to create workitems, but all the work items that get created are opened as 'New'. Is there a way for me to directly create workitems via CSV import that are in 'In Progress' or 'Done' state ? Also, is there a way that I can update the Status from 'New' to 'In Progress' via CSV import ?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Basil

permanent link
Basil Kanneth (213) | answered Aug 05 '10, 1:36 p.m.
Hi,

I've got another question related to CSV import. I'm currently using it to import work items to a specific iteration by using the 'Planned For' field with the following syntax:
"/timeline/iteration/"

But it seems to use "/" as a delimiter, but what should I do if the name of the timeline iteself has a "/" in it?

Our timelines are named based on the OS name (eg: BG/P) and version (eg: V3.0). So the name of our timeline would look something like:
/BG/P V3.0/August Iteration

But since Planned for uses "/" as the delimiter, it thinks that "P V3.0" is a sub-iteration and tries to put the work items there.

Any way around this? Thanks in advance! and hopefully my explanation isn't confusing.

permanent link
mike brosnan (1011213) | answered Nov 25 '11, 10:22 a.m.
We are using a csv import on an existing work item to update the Planned For field.

We update the Planned For field, but the value that's imported is not recognised as an existing plan.

When click on "Open in Plan" for the work item, I am prompted to create a new plan.

I can then change the Planned For value to a real iteration plan and I can now I can open the work item in a plan.

Looking at the history of the work item, the text for this change is identical.

Planned For Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I3 (Dec 2011) Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I3 (Dec 2011)

Is there some other field that csv import needs to be able to update an iteration of a work item?

What syntax should be used to update planned for say from

Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I2 (Nov 2011)

to

Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I3 (Dec 2011)

thanks

Mike Brosnan

permanent link
mike brosnan (1011213) | answered Nov 25 '11, 2:44 p.m.
We are using a csv import on an existing work item to update the Planned For field.

We update the Planned For field, but the value that's imported is not recognised as an existing plan.

When click on "Open in Plan" for the work item, I am prompted to create a new plan.

I can then change the Planned For value to a real iteration plan and I can now I can open the work item in a plan.

Looking at the history of the work item, the text for this change is identical.

Planned For Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I3 (Dec 2011) Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I3 (Dec 2011)

Is there some other field that csv import needs to be able to update an iteration of a work item?

What syntax should be used to update planned for say from

Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I2 (Nov 2011)

to

Project Backlog/2011 Q4 Release/Q4 I3 (Dec 2011)

thanks

Mike Brosnan

It looks the export creates Planned For with the display name and import requires Planned For to be the Identifier, is this correct. Is there a way around this?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.