It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Questions regarding the Lab Manager data model

Peter GardfjÀll (2186) | asked Dec 28 '09, 4:11 a.m.
Hi all,

I am trying to understand the basic workings of the lab manager in general, and its data model in particular. The following is my understanding of how things work in the lab manager:

- via the web UI it is only possible to create new lab resources of type "Machine" and "Virtual Image". "Instances" of other types, such as "IP Interface", "Operating System", and custom created types cannot be directly created via the web UI, but are "indirectly" created while filling in the details for a Machine/Virtual Image.

- The previous bullet implies that the lab manager data model does not support modelling one or more resources sharing another lab resource. That is, there is no real mechanism to model that two machines are referencing _the same_ printer, for instance. Rather, a printer would need to be filled in once for every machine it is associated with. That is, an "instance" of the printer would only exist in the sense that several Machines have equal values for the printer attributes.

Are these observations correct or have I misunderstood something?

best regards, Peter

Accepted answer

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Feb 09 '10, 6:39 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hey Peter,
You have a good grasp of the data model. While multiple resources might share the Printer type, only one resource can contain an actual instance of the Printer.
Regards,
John

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the basic workings of the lab manager in general, and its data model in particular. The following is my understanding of how things work in the lab manager:

- via the web UI it is only possible to create new lab resources of type "Machine" and "Virtual Image". "Instances" of other types, such as "IP Interface", "Operating System", and custom created types cannot be directly created via the web UI, but are "indirectly" created while filling in the details for a Machine/Virtual Image.

- The previous bullet implies that the lab manager data model does not support modelling one or more resources sharing another lab resource. That is, there is no real mechanism to model that two machines are referencing _the same_ printer, for instance. Rather, a printer would need to be filled in once for every machine it is associated with. That is, an "instance" of the printer would only exist in the sense that several Machines have equal values for the printer attributes.

Are these observations correct or have I misunderstood something?

best regards, Peter
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.