It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG 703 Can I import/export my word and excel using my dot/dotm templates?

Michael Sweger (1311) | asked Apr 25, 9:23 a.m.
DNG 703.

I have my own word and excel dot and dotm templates and would like DNG to use them as the default for a given project such  that project A has a word/excel template dot/dotm that is different than the one for project B etc.
I came across this weblink but I want more control.

The above says I must use the advance options and select the dot/dotm on my disk to apply it. I'd like to upload my dot/dotm and make it the default when exporting to word and excel for a project. So I'd have template 1 for word and template 2 for excel uploaded and used as the default on export so I don't have to select them for a given project.

Moreover, I want this uploaded template to then be used to change the display in DNG such that my heading styles that define the font, and size match what I'd get on export. I hate to see the font size and style change has I go down loweer in the section numbers down to 9. Also other styles can be applied to the content for each heading.  Moreover, I'd like to have it remember by table of contents layout. that goes down to level 9 and not stop at level 3/4. It must also know how to handle my custom style names that equate to the default Heading Level names etc. My template can have an embeded title page and logo too.

Another area is importing documents that contain words "smart art". I use the organizational charts to capture the functional names in the headings and their section # depth. It helps to show the structure visually. If I import them into DNG it converts them to picture pngs. I don't want them converted to pictures since if I change the requirements around, I'd like the figure to retain and be exported as smart art so that I can edit it to change it to match the changes in the documents text without having to replace and recreate the smart art from scratch.

I haven't played with the uploaded embedded OLE files to see if I click on it, that it will open the office application for editing and then resaving it back to DOORS like DOORS classic did. This is needed for embedded, word, excel, visio, project files when more detail is needed that smart art can't do. Maybe the work around it to use a hyperlink to an external disk area that when followed opens the office program associated with the file such as excel, then edit and resave the content back to it.

2 answers

permanent link
Michael Sweger (1311) | answered Apr 25, 9:27 a.m.
BTW, the advantage of having my dot/dotm templates uploaded, is that another user on the team would be able to edit the DOORS module content with the same layout I see on the gui screen, and also export to word/excel using the same templates without having to have a copy on their disk drive to select from the advance option. This makes things more portable.

As a side note, I don't see the ability to export to power point like DOORS classic. And of course, it has its own dot/dtom templates too that could be uploaded for use to a project. So can DNG export to PPT?

permanent link
Michael Sweger (1311) | answered Apr 25, 9:59 a.m.
Some thoughts on uploading my excel/word dot/dotm templates for use.

Since the templates can be specific for a project, what I could do is upload the templates as a collection for a given project. The question would be then on export to word/excel, can I go to advance options,and specify the DNG collections location and select the dot/dotm to use vs. going to my computers disk. This would help for portability across the team to use the same template without having each of them having their copy which may not be the same version over time.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.