It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

JRS spits out HTML codes in Excel export

Max K (153) | asked Mar 20, 8:43 p.m.

Hi, just wondering if someone has come across this minor but annoying issue and can suggest a solution - when a JRS report (on requirements) is exported to Excel, the output spreadsheet contains HTML codes like &quot; &amp; &lt; instead of the actual symbols like " & <

The report itself shows these symbols correctly, but in the spreadsheet they are replaced with codes. The issue relates to a custom text attribute.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments
Fariz Saracevic commented Mar 21, 3:27 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Max,

Please open IBM support case to review your data about the above findings.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.5k217) | answered Mar 21, 6:10 p.m.
Given this is in a custom text attribute, I'd be interested to see if this still happened after you edited it.

Can you pick one of the records and make a note of it, then edit the text attribute and delete and re-add the ampersand (or whatever character is exporting weirdly) and save, and then see if that record exports correctly? My thinking is that maybe the HTML version was inserted via import or copy/paste, and your browser is masking the fact by rendering it on the screen as just an ampersand when you look at it in the UI or Report Builder.

Custom text attributes are just plain text but Primary Text is Rich Text - DNG knows to convert the contents of Primary Text when exporting, but would likely not check an attribute that's meant to be plain text
Max K selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Max K commented Mar 27, 6:44 p.m.

Thanks Davyd, this sounds like a good suggestion. Unfortunately I currently don't have access to the environment to try as I asked the question based on the screenshots I was provided. I am getting the client to organise access for me now and will try this when I can. But I think it's either your scenario or an IBM issue as suggested by Fariz.

Davyd Norris commented Mar 27, 9:28 p.m.

I actually had this exact situation the other day where a text field contained a long hyphen and it came out as a code in the Excel sheet, so it is possible this may be the problem

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.