It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

ELO 7.0.2 - Publish ID in page margin

Glyn Costello (14050) | asked Jan 12, 12:14 p.m.

Hi, 

What's the best way to configure a template to publish the requirement ID in the margins of a Word doc next to the paragraph (to the left of the paragraph but on the same line)?

2 answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.4k217) | answered Jan 14, 5:25 p.m.
Simplest way I have found to do it is in an invisible table - this lets you control the styling and positioning well, for instance you can style the cell containing the ID in a faded grey and right justify the number in the cell. 

The down side of this is that it makes the resulting document harder to edit if you need to do any post report changes, although you could argue that you shouldn't be changing the body of the document manually anyway!

I messed around for ages trying tab stops, multiple columns, and all sorts of other approaches and just couldn't get the consistency needed, so ended up going with the table approach. Would love to hear if anybody has been successful with other approaches

Comments
Glyn Costello commented Jan 15, 4:45 a.m.

I did consider tables, but it becomes a bit of a pain with published document flow expecially when the content has tables or figures.  

Davyd Norris commented Jan 15, 5:30 p.m.

Yes this can be a problem but it's actually worse if you try other approaches such as tab stops or columns - tables turned out to be the lesser of the evils

permanent link
Diana Kraaijeveld (57727) | answered Jan 16, 5:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you create a view in a Doors Next module, showing only the ID and Content fields (so the default view), like this:

And from within this view you do a 'Print Module' to Word and select the 'Table' format, you get the ID next to the content in the resulting Word doc like this:

Then you get the ID next to the paragraph

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.