It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

7.0.2 - DNG + ELO PUB - Tabulate other artifacts in a module > report

Glyn Costello (140151) | asked Nov 27 '23, 6:27 a.m.
edited Nov 27 '23, 6:28 a.m.

Hi, 

I'm embarking on adding the capability to tabluate other artifacts when authoring a module. I was wondering if anynoe has tried this before (so I don't try to reinvent the wheel). I'd like it to be dynamic so that anyone can refer to a list of other artifacts to be populated as a table in an output report. My intended output is, as an example:

MODULE A
1. Heading
1.1 Sub-Heading
Below are a list of the external interfaces defined for the system:
{table with specific Interface Artifacts}

I'd prefer not to try and do this entirely within ELO PUB alone, as different projects/teams will have slightly different needs.

I was thinking that I could achieve this with a new artifact type called "Tabulate" and a link type "Tabulate"
In the module, a user could add a "Tabulate" artifact and create "Tabulate" links to other artifacts in the Project. 

At the time of publishing, the template simple iterates through the links and creates a table from them. 

I was also thinking I could add some attributes to the tabulate artifact to allow users to state what attributes of the linked items they wanted in the table... e.g. ID, Title, State, Maturity, Used in Module, etc. up to say 5 or 6 columns that the publishing template can use. 

I assume there isn't a built-in or easier way of doing this, perhaps using embedded artifacts/collections or views?

Thanks

Glyn

Comments
Kevin Murphy commented Nov 27 '23, 6:04 p.m.

This is possible, but you have to customize it and have a process. It's not something people here can just answer and give you a template for.

Good luck. You can always contact me to have something like this developed for you.

Glyn Costello commented Nov 28 '23, 4:30 a.m.

Hi Kevin, yeah I'm not expecting anyone else to do it, I should be able to do this myself, I just wondered if anyone else had a system working and how my planned approach might compare to theirs, or if there's a better way, like using embedded collections somehow. 

Glyn Costello commented Nov 30 '23, 4:59 a.m.

Quick update, implemented, tested and working well. I have a new artifact type and a link type:

Artifact: "Tabluate Other Artifacts"
Link: "Tabulates/Tabulated By"
The Artifact has custom attributes which you use to state what columns you want in the table... e.g.
Table Column 1: Identifier
Table Column 2: Name (RPE template has to change this to "Title")
Table Column 3: Maturity

As an example. I've allowed up to 7 columns. 

The RPE template looks for this atifact, adds header cells for each populated column attribute then iterates over the "Tabulates" links to add the information to the table. 

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.