It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Split a workflow in RTC

Janet Cook (23110) | asked Nov 19 '23, 10:54 p.m.

We are using Workflow manager 7.0.2.

We have a workflow for approving changes to DOORS data.  Changes can be of 2 types:
- Basic changes - which can be implemented once they go through the initial approval stage
- Time/Cost changes which need to go through a second stage of approvals which often takes a long time (Commercial get involved in some of these types of changes as they are effectively contract changes)

I can implement all this with no issue if the work items only have one type of changes in them. However, there are going to be lots of times when a work item is created and it will actually contain changes of both types. The initiator will often not be aware of the mixed changes need.

We want to be able to implement the basic changes as soon as they are through the initial approval but keep the work item going to get the rest of the changes approved and then implemented. 

TO do this I need to put the work item into both "Implement" state and "Further approval" state at the same time. Obviously I cannot do that, so how can I handle it?

I am after ideas for how to approach it. 

Is it possible to split it into 2 work items? If so how?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Nov 20 '23, 6:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Usually something like this should be approached by 

• Tracking only one change with each work item
  • a review process, that categorizes if the change is basic or cost. By default consider it cost. 
  • When the decision is made and the change is basic, change the work item type to one that supports the simple workflow.
  • The default work item type is for a complex change and supports a more complex workflow with an approval.

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.6k217) | answered Nov 20 '23, 6:34 p.m.
The way I have done this with many of my clients is to have the Change Request as a planning work item, and then have child Tasks as the execution work items.

You then create the child Task for each change you need to make and then track each change when it's done. Use the precondition that forces all child work items to be resolved before you can resolve the parent so that the top level change cannot be closed until all children are complete

Comments
Janet Cook commented Nov 22 '23, 6:05 p.m.

Thanks Davyd,  

That sounds like it would work.
How do I create a child workflow from a current one?
Janet

Davyd Norris commented Nov 22 '23, 10:36 p.m.
Not a work flow but a work item, and there are several ways to do this:
 - if you are in a Plan, then there are menus available to allow you to add a child
Create child in plan

- if you are on the work item itself, then there is a toolbar icon in the top right corner to "Add Child Work Item"

Create Child toolbar icon

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 23 '23, 2:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you want different workflows you will also have different work item types for the child work items. E.g. one informal and one that requires more approvals.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.