It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In EWM 7.0.2 SR1 iFix 023, the code review tool seems to consume floating license for user not logged into EWM

Richard Michelson (21715) | asked Oct 11 '23, 2:26 p.m.

In EWM 7.0.2 SR1 iFix 023, code review tool seems to consume a floating license for user not logged into EWM. We only noticed this because the user in question is away on vacation and not logged into EWM, but when an update to a code review by the code review requester was made, the assigned code reviewer (that is out of office) had a license checked out in their name. That does not seem correct.

Second part of question: Is there documentation that explains in detail what actions consume a EMW developer floating license? It seems that in general a license is consumed when someone updates a Work Item.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 12 '23, 3:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 12 '23, 3:25 a.m.

I would find it very surprising if the code review tool would pull a license for a user that does not operate on the data. If the user would run some other automation that logs them in, this would be a different matter.

However, this is a forum and not a support replacement. I don't see how we could help here. Please open a case with support.

There used to be a table explaining the licensing on a high level, but I can't find it any more. In general, any operation (CRUD) on data managed by any of the applications, requires a user account, a repository role (e.g. JazzGuest), access managed by access control and some type of license.

Exceptions (do not require a license) as far as I know: 
JTS allows user profile, dashboards, dashboards can display data the user has access to (managed like above including the users available licenses).
Report Builder allows reporting on data the user has access to (managed like above including the users available licenses).
EWM allows read access to work items, including work item queries and dashboard widgets without requiring a license. 

There are different flavors of licenses that allow basic read access, basic authoring and usage of very specialized capabilities of the applications. EWM requires a Developer license for SCM and Build related functionalities.

I hope this helps.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.