It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirement stability

Lew Cote (52) | asked May 05 '22, 9:18 p.m.

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way to see how many times a requirement has been updated, these requirements can be either in a Module or Collection.   I am having a issue finding the right way to do this in JRS.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Lew

One answer

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered May 06 '22, 3:42 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 07 '22, 3:52 a.m.
Hi Lew,

In a opted-in-for-CM project area, each update to a requirement creates a new version. In the context of a particular configuration, either a local DN configuration or a global configuration, only one version of that requirement is likely ot be selected. If you define a report in Report Builder that uses the Lifecycle Query Engine scoped to a configuration data source, it reports on the versions of requires selected in a user-specified configuration (usually a global configuration). So such a report would only include one version of the requirement of interest. You could create a report using the Lifecycle Query Engine data source that is not configuration scoped. That would include all versions of a requirement of interest, regardless of the stream in which it was changed, without any indication as to the configuration context in which it was changed. You also have to watch out for the "Cartesian product" issue:

Consider some reqirement versions with the following titles and properties:

Id title property X property Y
123 name1 value1 value2
123 name2 value1 value2
123 name2 value3 value4
123 name3 value3 value5

Across all versions, the name has values {name1,name2,name3}, property X has values {value1,value3}, and property Y has values {value2,value4,value5}. A report across all versions that includes id, title, property X and property Y would generate the Cartesian product acoss those 4 properties:

Id title property X property Y
123 name1 value1 value2
123 name1 value1 value4
123 name1 value1 value5
123 name1 value3 value2
123 name1 value3 value4
123 name1 value3 value5
123 name2 value1 value2
123 name2 value1 value4
123 name2 value1 value5
123 name2 value3 value2
123 name2 value3 value4
123 name2 value3 value5
123 name3 value1 value2
123 name3 value1 value4
123 name3 value1 value5
123 name3 value3 value2
123 name3 value3 value4
123 name3 value3 value5

Such a report is also not very useful. It shows 18 combinations (the Cartesian prodict) even though there are only 4 versions.And the result will include combinations of values that do not exist on any single version.

So it depends on what you're trying to do. In general, you cannot report on version history in Report Builder. If you want to see the version history of a particular requirement, view that information in DOORS Next.

Best regards,
David

Comments
Lew Cote commented May 06 '22, 5:39 p.m.

Thank you David,

Yes I can see the number of changes per requirement in DNG via the history, but that is just one at a time.  I need to figure out how I can review multiple requirements in a module.   So close but yet so far away.

Yeah I see what you mean in RB, I can see the same requirement listed 4 times but no distinction or date stamps to make them unique.

Have a Great weekend

Lew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.