It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Enumeration in database when process is shared from another project area

Jochen Widmaier (22310) | asked Mar 11 '22, 10:17 a.m.

Geoffrey wrote in 2017 that it is not possible to store enumeration definitions in the database, if the process is shared from another project area. Is this still a limitation 5 years later (EWM 7.0.2)?

Or maybe there is another solution to my problem: As mentioned above many of our project area share the same process from a template project area. We would like to introduce a new attribute based on an enumeration, but would like to define the enumeration members in each project area differently (there is no overlap between the project areas). Is this possible?

Thank you very much.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 14 '22, 3:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I am aware, that limitation is still there. A database stored enumeration is not inherited in process sharing. The process sharing depends on the process XML.

Sharing obviously is to make things similar and not to make them different. 

I do not have a good solution or experience with doing what you try to do. The only thing that comes into my mind is that there was a mechanism proposed to be able to do this. I have not used it so far, but Jorge has blogged about how this works here: https://jorgediazblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/managing-fine-grain-process-customization-for-work-items-in-rtc-4-0-1/ and the team wiki has the basic information: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ConfigurationDataDeltaUserDoc

Hope this helps.

Jochen Widmaier selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jochen Widmaier commented Mar 14 '22, 5:01 a.m.

Thank you very much Ralph. The team wiki contains our use case (either completely new attribute with its own enumeration or expansion of existing enumeration; depends on how we can agree with the other users of the process template).

We need to expand the process configuration. The team wiki describes how to do that in XML, but also mentions, that we should look out for new configuration options in the GUI in the future. Since there are three more major releases in the mean time, do you know, if there was something added? I searched through the help pages, but was not successful.

Thank you very much :-)

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 14 '22, 5:06 a.m. | edited Mar 14 '22, 5:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Jochen, this aspect of the administration UI has not been a focus of development, as far as I can tell. So I am pretty sure there is no progress and you have to do it as described by Jorge. As far as I am aware changes in the admin UI would either be prevented by the final flag, or you would loose inheritance by overriding it.

You could consider making it easier by maintaining the enumerations in the sharing project area and then only adding the attribute in the sharing project areas. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.