It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 6.0.6 Increment work item numbering x number so it is different from other projects

Thomas O'Grady (11) | asked Jun 22 '22, 11:38 a.m.

I have multiple projects that have overlapping work item numbers. Is there a way to create an offset to increment work item numbering for example by 20,000 instead of starting from 0? 

All I can currently find is by creating a number of work items so they dont have conflicting work item numbers.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 22 '22, 1:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 23 '22, 1:48 a.m.
EWM work items have a unique ID across the whole repository. It makes absolutely no sense to have unique numbers per project area, in my view. The only reason why you would want something like that is so that you underestimate the items per project area and then won't be able to grow any more and will have to stop creating work items, because of ID clashes.

However, this is not the first time that this idea has come up and someone wrote an extension that can create an additional custom number/id that is grouped by project area. See Extension to generate unique custom work item numbers moved to new GIT location. Note, that the real ID is still the original one and that is unique and increasing across the whole repository.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.