It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

List DOORS Next (NG) Columns/Attributes

Calum Button (1312) | asked Apr 01 '21, 4:26 a.m.

Good morning all,

Is there a simple way (or a complicated way) to export a list of the Columns/Attributes of a DOORS Next module?
(I'm very very new to DOORS Next, all my previous work is in DOORS Classic and I appreciate that I'm likely missing something very obvious.)

Many thanks in advance

Calum

3 answers

permanent link
Diana Kraaijeveld (57727) | answered Apr 01 '21, 6:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 01 '21, 6:42 a.m.
Hello Calum,

The easiest way would be:
- Open the module in DNG
- Add all relevant attributes to the view. You can do this by selecting the drop down of the left most icon from the grey bar at the top, and then choose: 'Configure Columns to display'.
- When you selected all attributes you want to see in your export, save this as a new view. You can do this by clicking the '+' button in the left 'views' area.
- Once the view is saved you can use the drop down menu of that view, to export the module with all the columns. You can choose to export to CSV or Xls(x). This will trigger the export of all module artifacts with all selected columns and provide the option to save it as a CSV or Excel sheet.

Another option is to use the 'hamburger menu' at the top-right and choose to create a report for this view, or choose to print the module as Word or PDF directly, for example by using the 'Print Table' format.

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Apr 01 '21, 6:49 a.m.

Open the module, add/remove the columns and save as view. Select "Generate Report for View..." (from quick print menu), select the report type (Pront Module Book or Print Module Table), go through the wizard to get the output.

permanent link
Calum Button (1312) | answered Apr 01 '21, 9:13 a.m.

Thanks for your answers Diana and Subramanya, I wanted to find a way of doing it without having to just add them to a view.

In Classic I wrote a script that would export them all for me (including various details e.g. type) without having to have them visible in a view (or even opening the module), this way there was no risk of me missing something such as a new attribute being added.  I was hoping DOORS Next offered a similar functionality but built in, deploying Java looks like a pain.

Comments
Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Apr 01 '21, 11:09 a.m. | edited Apr 01 '21, 11:11 a.m.

Of course, you can report on DOORS Next module without creating a view. You can design a template using RPE to include only those attributes you are interested in. This custom template/report can be executed through DOORS Next itself, through RPE Launcher or through Document Builder.

Calum Button commented Apr 12 '21, 6:17 a.m.

That would still require me knowing what the attributes are, this is now quite circular and I'm not sure you understand my question?

If I knew what the attributes were I wouldn't need a way of listing them and creating an RPE template to find out the names of attributes in a module is ridiculous, plus would mean I'd have to rebuild the template every time I wanted to see if someone had created a new attribute.
I'm not interested in the object content of an attribute, just the attribute name, and eventually type, created by etc.
10 lines of DXL would export that for me, from any DOORS module without me requiring any knowledge of the module, from the replies it seems this is not possible with DOORS NG, which means people can add attributes without a simple way of identifying what they've done.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.