It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to avoid that RPE's DOORS DXL input driver opens unnecessary linked modules?

Andreas Hensel (514) | asked Oct 28 '20, 7:23 a.m.
edited Oct 29 '20, 4:23 a.m.

Purpose of the RPE template is a traceability report. For that reason the queries Module/Object/Link and Module/Object/Link/Linked Object are used. This has the result that the input driver for the DOORS data source opens all linked Formal modules, also modules that are not required for the report. One of the incorporated modules is linked with more than 200 other modules, resulting in a very poor performance. 

The RPE version is 6.0.6.
The DOORS client version is 9.7.0.1.

The DOORS data source contains queries that can be used to navigate directly into a linked module and to retrieve its object attribute values. For that reason the input driver has to open the linked modules. This behaviour is by design. The DOORS data source is easy to use, but problematic in my case.

It seems that other users already encountered the same problem, because I found a "Filtering by target module" option in the documentation:
This could surely solve my problem, but unfortunately I do not see the expected result.

I am not allowed to upload images - not enough reputation points :-(

2 answers

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Oct 28 '20, 9:09 a.m.
edited Oct 30 '20, 2:27 a.m.
You should apply the filter on correct query (module/object/innerLink) and you should use Link Module (and not Formal Module) in the native filter.
In DOORS, check View -> Show Link Modules to get link module name and location.

The link module has to be used to filter by target module as following:

Comments
Andreas Hensel commented Oct 29 '20, 2:25 p.m.

Thank you for the response. A scripted filter cannot be the solution, it must be a native filter. Hopefully a developer can clarify why the filtering by target module does not work as documented.

Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Oct 30 '20, 2:16 a.m. | edited Oct 30 '20, 2:28 a.m.

Yes, I understand. Updated my answer after further analysis. Let us know if this helps.

Andreas Hensel commented Oct 30 '20, 11:11 a.m.

Filtering by link module is not quite what I need. 

It can help to reduce the output of the input driver.
But more important, it has no impact on the opening of the linked formal modules. 

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k252162) | answered Oct 28 '20, 9:09 a.m.

Hi Andreas,

Is it possible that one of the modules you are reporting on has a default view that has traceability links via DXL columns or attributes?

They could be opening the link modules and slowing down performance.

Maybe try changing the default view to one that does not have links showing.

It could be that the linked modules that you need to open for your report have themselves got traceability views that are opening other unnecessary modules so you could check them and change the default views in those modules.

Sean

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.