It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

JAZZ RM Cross-Linking to DOORS

Christopher McDaniel (159) | asked Sep 15 '20, 2:03 p.m.
We are using JAZZ RM and QM version 6.0.6.  We also have a DOORS server version 9.6.1.3.  My question is regarding the Configuration Management.  Is it absolutely required to enable cross-linking between these 3 applications? Could I simply install the Link Index Provider and get that capability without enabling Configuration Management? 

Also, how might I know wether or not the Link Index Provider is installed.  I do not have access to the server administration for the JTS.  Does the DOORS server need to have anything installed to enable this cross-linking capability?

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 15 '20, 2:22 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Answering your questions in a different order ...

>>> Is it absolutely required to enable cross-linking between these 3 applications?
It depends on your objectives and use case. 
* You could (for example) use ReqIF to exchange requirements between DOORS and DOORS Next and do all your linking to tests and reporting on the traceability in the Jazz system.  There are pros and cons to this approach. 
* If you don't have versioning turned on in RM and QM you can link between DOORS 9, RM, QM without LDX or global configurations (and the rest of this post is not relevant).

>>> How might I know wether or not the Link Index Provider is installed.  I do not have access to the server administration for the JTS.
If you have configuration management enabled in some RM & QM project areas and you can see links between requirements and tests in these project areas, then LDX is working.

>>> Does the DOORS server need to have anything installed to enable this cross-linking capability?
You should move up to the latest DOORS client (DOORS 9.7.2), where additional work was done to make linking possible when RM & QM have configuration management enabled. And you need a global configuration to provide a configuration context for the links.

>>> Could I simply install the Link Index Provider and get that capability without enabling Configuration Management? 
In summary (glossing over some details) LDX is used specifically for applications to find the artifacts living elsewhere that are linked to the artifacts they manage in the case when you have configuration enabled. It's required. And in a version-enabled world, links between versioned artifacts require a global configuration.  

Hope that helps
--Daniel

Christopher McDaniel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Christopher McDaniel commented Sep 15 '20, 3:13 p.m.
Daniel,

Very good information.

In your reply: "If you don't have versioning turned on in RM and QM you can link between DOORS 9, RM,...."

Was "can" suppose to "can't" above?  Because you can, link between the 3, but it requires creating the links 'manually'.
Also, when you say 'versioning', do you mean 'configuration management"? 

Thanks again!
Chris

Daniel Moul commented Sep 15 '20, 3:34 p.m.

You CAN link between these applications when configuration management is not enabled. The links are OSLC links, and this support has been in these products for years.

Daniel Moul commented Sep 15 '20, 3:36 p.m.

yes versioning is part of configuration management; you can think of them as synonymous in this post.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.