It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you implement product line with DNG Change sets' dependency?

Hugo Fayolle (132) | asked Sep 07 '20, 4:16 a.m.
Hi,

In DNG, you have change set dependency: a given change set is dependant of other CS when it modifies the same artifact as the others.
In product line, you might want to transfer features (i.e change sets) from one stream to another (i.e variant) without taking all dependant change sets (which could be unwanted features).
How do you implement product line in DNG with change sets dependency?
Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 08 '20, 6:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In 7.0.1, in DNG, you will have the ability to deliver a change set without being required to also deliver its dependencies.   Before 7.0.1, you would have to either deliver all of the dependencies, and then manually "edit out" the changes you don't want, or you would have to manually "recreate" the changes you want in each variant.   Of course, those manual steps can be expensive and error-prone, so you probably want to upgrade to 7.0.1 before doing this operation extensively.

Hugo Fayolle selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Hugo Fayolle commented Sep 09 '20, 3:14 a.m.
I will definitively check it out!
Thank you for the answer!

One other answer

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered Sep 07 '20, 6:50 a.m.

Hi Hugo

There is guidance on using configuration management here https://jazz.net/library/article/90581 - this discusses on changeset size, and links to specific articles about what the authors call "multistream" and "multistream concurrent" development strategies.

HTH
Ian

Comments
Hugo Fayolle commented Sep 07 '20, 7:28 a.m. | edited Sep 08 '20, 6:43 p.m.
Hi,

Thank you for the answer.
I have already read https://jazz.net/library/article/90581 and all related articles, which I found really interesting!
However, these article do not adress change set dependecies (change set size doesn't solve the problem too).

For instance you take this article:
It states that:
"The changes for any variant might be:
  • Unique to that variant and not shareable with any other stream

• Shareable with select variant streams

• Appropriate for adding back into the main stream"

But this is not applicable for change sets in DNG as changes can be dependent to one another (i.e changes are not shareable if I have to share unrelated changes too)
I am really curious to understand how to implement Product Line with DNG,
Thanks,

Ian Barnard commented Sep 07 '20, 7:57 a.m.

Apologies I pasted the wrong link - I meant to point you at this article, which does discusses changesets https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMCfgMRecommendedPractices

Our services team is in the best position to advise you in detail about managing your configurations - you could talk to your IBM or partner sales team about this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.