It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I trigger a jenkins job by its component in RTC workstream?

Zaheer Sheikh (112) | asked Jul 27 '20, 4:10 p.m.
edited Jul 27 '20, 4:25 p.m.

<svg aria-hidden="true" class="mln2 mr0 svg-icon iconHistory" height="18" viewbox="0 0 19 18" width="19"> </svg>

I have a work stream in which, I have multiple projects (Components) and for each project i have created a separate jobs in Jenkins.

I am looking the solution for my issue, First i will explain the scenario of my work stream.

Explanation of RTC work stream

I have a work stream, in which i have created two separate projects (Project "A" and Project "B")

Tree diagram of work stream given below:

enter image description here

Explanation of Jenkins

I have created two separate jobs in Jenkins like (Job for project "A" and Job for project "B"). I am using Ant 1.9.14 for build.

explanation of Issue

All the setup of Jenkins jobs and RTC are done, Jobs are triggering and creating build files successfully.

Main issue is that, Currently i am working on project "A" and doing check-in and delivering code properly in my main work stream for project "A", but as soon as I deliver code in my work stream for project "A" Jenkins build starts for both projects.

So, Is there any way to start a specific project build in Jenkins?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 28 '20, 2:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you are not interested in all the components, you can use a repository workspace and a stream for the set of components you are interested in. In your case one component per stream. Configure a build for each of the streams. Done.

Comments
Zaheer Sheikh commented Jul 28 '20, 3:10 a.m. | edited Jul 28 '20, 3:11 a.m.
Thanks for help and reply,
But that's not my issue. My issue description in other words are below:- 
- I have one stream and in this stream there are multiple projects(Project A, Project B).
- I have created build jobs in Jenkins for each project.
- Currently, I am working in project A, As soon as i deliver the code for project A. All project build started automatically. May be because of one stream.
- I want to trigger one build only where i did deliver my code.
Example: If i deliver code for  project A then only project A build must be trigger only not all builds. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 28 '20, 3:30 a.m. | edited Jul 28 '20, 3:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This sounds like
- I have a Ferrari
- I want to go camping

I can only tell you what I think you should do. In the above case take a Caravan. You can ignore that and try something else.

Usually having many components on a stream is due to them all be needed to create the full solution. And usually there are dependencies between these. From a load and build perspective, it makes more sense to have separate streams/worspaces if there are no dependencies at all. It is a choice however. I have similar workspaces because it is easier to handle a few than many.

While I am at it, another option would be to have a load rule for each of the buids that only loads the one component that is desired. This would be mounting a tow hook to your Ferrari, to stay in topic. 8)

Zaheer Sheikh commented Aug 04 '20, 3:03 p.m.
Thanks for quick reply, 
Do you have steps where I can use the hook in  Jenkins for RTC?  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.