It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I link multiple new children simultaneously using import from CSV in RTC 6 web application?

Ryan Sharkey (111) | asked May 05 '20, 11:45 a.m.

Hello,

I am trying to import multiple new child work items to a parent that already exists using the import from csv tool. However, when I create these new children externally and import them, only the first child in my list gets linked properly.

For example: Parent ID 105
Name               Parent
New Children:     New Story 1        #105
                           New Story 2         #105
                           New Story 3         #105

When the import completes, only "New Story 1" is linked to the parent. The other 2 are imported with no parent link.
Is there some reason why RTC is not linking the second and third child when importing? 

If I export the new children and the re-import them after they have been assigned their IDs by RTC, like so:

For example: Parent ID 105
ID              Name               Parent
New Children:      106            New Story 1        #105
                             107            New Story 2         #105
                             108            New Story 3         #105

Then all the children are linked to parent ID 105 simultaneously. Why is this not possible when I am creating the children in the first import?

Thanks for your help

One answer

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11219) | answered May 07 '20, 12:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The behavior described here is unexpected. I ran a quick test on 6.0.6.1 (iFix003) and did not see the same behavior. I had 2 child workitems in the csv file and both link to the same parent WI ID (which already exists in the repository). After the import (either using Eclipse client or WebUI), both newly created workitems are showing the parent link correctly. The parent item also shows children links back to those new items.

What version of CLM are you using? If the problem can be reproduced consistently, I suggest to engage CLM support.

Comments
Ryan Sharkey commented May 07 '20, 12:15 p.m.

Hi Kot T.,

My application version is 6.0.5 (iFix012).

Since posting, I have been able to determine that if I use the "Create new work item" selection when uploading new work items and define the parent ID, they are all assigned the parent ID correctly. 

My problem is, I want to use the "Update existing work item" selection, and add new work items if no match is found (i.e. the Id column is blank for a work item). In my external application I am both updating existing items and adding new ones. When I upload the CSV using the "Update existing work item" selection I am able to update all entries that already exist, but only the first newly created item is assigned a parent properly.

When you created your new items did you use the "Create new work item" or "Update existing work item" with the "create new new work items if no match found" option? 

Kot T. commented May 07 '20, 2:34 p.m. | edited May 07 '20, 2:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ryan,

I used the "Create new work item" option in the previous test. With the additional information you provided, I tested again with the 'Update existing workitem' option and able to see the problem you described. It looks like the first new child has parent link from the last new item.. and that is also incorrect.

Please submit a ticket with support.

Ryan Sharkey commented May 11 '20, 3:13 p.m.

Thank you Kot, I really appreciate the follow up! I will go ahead and see if support can help me with this issue. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.