It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build engine on Linux - JDK version?

Mike Johnson (28624221) | asked Nov 12 '09, 11:50 a.m.
We are installing the build engine on a Linux machine. In the readme the following statement appears:

The Jazz build engine does not include a JDK, so by default it will use the system JDK or JRE. It is recommended to use a JDK, rather than a JRE, since some Ant tasks like <javac> require a JDK. We strongly recommend using the JDK included in the Rational Team Concert Eclipse client.

My question -- why do you "strongly recommend" using that JDK? That JDK appears to be a 1.5 level JDK (if I do java -version from that JDK, it tells me "1.5.0"). I'd rather use a newer, 1.6 level JDK. What are the possible ramifications of not using the "strongly recommended" JDK?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

One answer

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Nov 12 '09, 4:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There were several defects in the IBM 1.5.0 SR9 JDK which was the publicly available one when we shipped 2.0. RTC shipped with a patched version of the JDK that had several extra fixes. I believe these are now all available in the IBM 1.5.0 SR11 JDK, and should also be fixed in the latest IBM 1.6.0 JDK.

You could also try the recent Sun JDKs. In either case, if not using the recommended JDK, keep an eye out for random crashes, leaking file or pipe handles, and classloader problems.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.