It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to remove the formatting from a DNG artifact?

Vani B (1391067) | asked Oct 17 '19, 1:00 a.m.

how to remove the formatting from a DNG artifact and set default format? Copying to Notepad and back doesn't seem to have worked.

Comments
Carol Watson commented Oct 17 '19, 9:11 a.m.

Hi Vani, 

Is the artifact in a module?  I've been running into the same issue, but only on artifacts in modules.  I've had to resort to copying text from an existing artifact to "capture" the format I need, then type over it with the desired text.  In my case, the artifacts that won't change format are imported from Excel.

Thanks,
Carol 

Accepted answer

permanent link
John Pawasauskas (511) | answered Oct 17 '19, 2:08 p.m.

The only way I've ever found to remove of formatting that I can't change from inside the tool is a round-trip export/import to CSV.

The trick is that when you re-import the CSV file, DNG looks at the artifact contents and only updates things that have changed.  So you need to modify your artifacts' text.  If that change is something you're not willing to live with, you'd then need to change it back and re-import everything again.

I always do this stuff using change sets so that if something doesn't work the way I want it to I can discard the change set and try again.

This works well to get rid of those <blockquote> XML tags that cause large indentation steps that you can't remove via the editor.  We ended up with a lot of artifacts containing these things from our original import from Word into DOORS, and they didn't go away when we migrated to DNG (although I understand they've changed this behavior for migrations in newer versions of DNG than I've got).

Keep in mind that using CSV will remove all of your artifacts' rich text formatting.  If there's some formatting in there that you want to keep, you have to decide if it's worth the effort of stripping it all out and then re-formatting whatever you need formatted by hand afterwards.  

Vani B selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.