It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to modify an artifact's attribute based on the value of a linked artifact's attribute?

Erick Hijar (133) | asked Jun 18 '20, 12:54 p.m.
edited Jun 18 '20, 12:58 p.m.
Hi!

Let's say I have a stakeholder requirement linked to a system level requirement. There is an attribute for my system requirement that shows if it is implemented or not. I want to show that same attribute in the stakeholder requirement (same value) to show its implementation status based on implementation of its derived requirements. Is it possible in DOORS NG?

I know about the formatting option of the links column that lets me show up to 3 attributes of a linked artifact, but what I can do with those values is limited. I can't use them in filters for instance. Use case: Show a costumer which requirements are being implemented or verified(passed/failed) without showing the system level requirements.

Thanks!

Note: I am using 6.0.6

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Jun 23 '20, 8:58 p.m.
I have done this before with the RM Client API and a widget, but there is no way to run this on the server - you need to manually run this in the view or folder where you want to update the elements.

My preference is to create a Report Builder report to show this instead of saving a calculated value that could be out of date within minutes of you running the widget - then it'll always be accurate.

Erick Hijar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Erick Hijar commented Jun 24 '20, 10:55 a.m.
Hi Davyd, it seems the report builder will be my best bet. I am coming from the original Rational DOORS and got used to the use of the DXL attributes so I thought maybe this was available as a built-in feature.

I'll try to configure a report for this.
Thanks for your answer!

2 other answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jun 18 '20, 1:57 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I've heard of people running scripts that query their lower level requirements to check for changes in attribute values and then modify the related attributes in higher-level requirements.  There is no built-in framework for this today.

Comments
Erick Hijar commented Jun 24 '20, 10:50 a.m.
Thanks for the answer Daniel ! 
I guess I'll need to use the Report Builder as others suggested, seems easier that way.

permanent link
Amit Talwar (565) | answered Jun 23 '20, 11:51 a.m.
Erick,

Based on the specific use case in your post, you could run a report via Report Builder to show this info.

Comments
Erick Hijar commented Jun 24 '20, 10:52 a.m.

Thanks Amit! I'll look into the report option.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.