It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

explosion of components

Erik anderson (38315029) | asked Nov 07 '09, 9:31 p.m.
Is there a way to restrict creating new components in workspaces?

I've inherited a couple projects with way too many components (77) - most were mistakes or experiments that didn't pan out. I know we can prevent them from making there way into streams (process conf), but I still have to monitor them to ensure they don't contain confidential information that requires special handling.

I appreciate the ease of creating them and why you'd want to make it easy, but I'd really like to have a way to control who can create them. Anything planned?

4 answers

permanent link
Erik anderson (38315029) | answered Nov 10 '09, 1:37 p.m.
I'll take that as a no (i.e. lack of response). Coming from a large organization where centralizing controls is important, I think RTC makes it far to easy to create components and far too difficult to remove them (i.e. not possible).

In ClearCase we were able to restrict component create with triggers and remove components that didn't have baselines.

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Nov 10 '09, 3:17 p.m.
I'll take that as a no (i.e. lack of response). Coming from a large organization where centralizing controls is important, I think RTC makes it far to easy to create components and far too difficult to remove them (i.e. not possible).

In ClearCase we were able to restrict component create with triggers and remove components that didn't have baselines.

Regarding controlling creating components -- I think what you want is configured in the Project Area -> Team Configuration -> Permissions. Select "Save Component (server)" under Source Control. Any role that doesn't have this enabled can't create/modify components.

I'm not sure about the "how do I delete components that already got created" question though...

Regards,
Mike

permanent link
Erik anderson (38315029) | answered Nov 13 '09, 3:18 p.m.
That can be used to prevent adding components to a stream. But as far as I can tell, workspaces are not managed by a process area.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 14 '09, 5:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The work item to provide this functionality is 95350 ("Want to be able
to control who is allowed to create a component"). It is currently
marked as being Planned-For 3.0.

Cheers,
Geoff

eanderso wrote:
Is there a way to restrict creating new components in workspaces?

I've inherited a couple projects with way too many components (77) -
most were mistakes or experiments that didn't pan out. I know we can
prevent them from making there way into streams (process conf), but I
still have to monitor them to ensure they don't contain confidential
information that requires special handling.

I appreciate the ease of creating them and why you'd want to make it
easy, but I'd really like to have a way to control who can create
them. Anything planned?

Comments
Frank Ning commented Oct 16 '12, 10:52 p.m.

Hi Geoff,

Is the work item delivered to V4?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.