It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Deleting work items?

Eric Wood (1) | asked Mar 03 '09, 12:10 p.m.
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like I can't find a function to delete a work item from Jazz.

Is this possible? If so, how? If not, how are we supposed to remove work items that are simply mistakes?

14 answers

permanent link
Attaullah Syed (13812) | answered Mar 04 '09, 5:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like I can't find a function to delete a work item from Jazz.

Is this possible? If so, how? If not, how are we supposed to remove work items that are simply mistakes?

Hi Eric,

I believe, you cannot delete a work item from Jazz Team Server. However, you can mark the State of the work item as Resolved with resolution type as Invalid.

Thanks,
Syed.

permanent link
Mike Rolls (12631813) | answered Mar 04 '09, 1:18 p.m.
Syed,

When I create a query with no filter parameters there are missing work items. I always assumed that they had somehow been deleted but looking at your response they they aren't. There are other WI set to Resolved / Invald which are visible. Do you know how to configure a query to be able to see all WI's.

Thanks
Mike

permanent link
Attaullah Syed (13812) | answered Mar 05 '09, 1:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Syed,

When I create a query with no filter parameters there are missing work items. I always assumed that they had somehow been deleted but looking at your response they they aren't. There are other WI set to Resolved / Invald which are visible. Do you know how to configure a query to be able to see all WI's.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

When you run a query that results in a very large set of work items, not all work items are displayed in the Work Items view. However, you can view all the work items by doing print or export operations.

Thanks,
Syed.

permanent link
Mike Rolls (12631813) | answered Mar 05 '09, 2:25 a.m.
Thanks for the response Syed.
Ran the export & there are still missing WI - even in a sandpit project, where there are only 13 WIs some are still missing. The missing ones are system generated ones, 1 to 6 are visible (6 = Define the team members for the project area as well as the team area), missing 7 but 8 (user generated) is present.

permanent link
Attaullah Syed (13812) | answered Mar 06 '09, 6:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the response Syed.
Ran the export & there are still missing WI - even in a sandpit project, where there are only 13 WIs some are still missing. The missing ones are system generated ones, 1 to 6 are visible (6 = Define the team members for the project area as well as the team area), missing 7 but 8 (user generated) is present.

Hi Mike,
You said that system generated work items are missing, but 6 seems to a system generated work item, and it is visible. Could you be specific whether only system generated work items are missing or randomly some work items are missing?

Also, it is possible that after the export operation you do not see a ID in the series of work items because there is no work item of that ID.

Thanks,
Syed.

permanent link
Mike Rolls (12631813) | answered Mar 06 '09, 10:51 a.m.
Syed,
After creating a new project the first user created WI was assigned id=8, but id 7, which I assume was system generated, is not visible.
Within an active project how do I determine whether the missing WIs are system or user generated.
Thanks again for continuing this discussion.

permanent link
Attaullah Syed (13812) | answered Mar 12 '09, 2:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Syed,
After creating a new project the first user created WI was assigned id=8, but id 7, which I assume was system generated, is not visible.
Within an active project how do I determine whether the missing WIs are system or user generated.
Thanks again for continuing this discussion.

Sorry Mike, i was off for two days. Is work item id=7 visible when you search for it in RTC?
Regarding system or user generated work items,the difference is the Summary. In system generated work items, the title of Summary will be in [].

Thanks,
Syed.

permanent link
Mike Rolls (12631813) | answered Mar 12 '09, 9:57 a.m.
Running a query with no filter criteria set returns:

13: test2
12: more tests
11: test2
10: test
8: user management
6: Define team members
5: Define categories and releases for work items
4: Define iterations
3: Share code with Jazz Source Control
2: Define a new build
1: Define an iteration plan

Is there another way to search for an WI other than generating a query ?

Thanks
Mike

permanent link
Attaullah Syed (13812) | answered Mar 12 '09, 10:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Running a query with no filter criteria set returns:

13: test2
12: more tests
11: test2
10: test
8: user management
6: Define team members
5: Define categories and releases for work items
4: Define iterations
3: Share code with Jazz Source Control
2: Define a new build
1: Define an iteration plan

Is there another way to search for an WI other than generating a query ?

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
The text box at the bottom left of RTC thick client is used to retrieve a specific work item.
Please see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rtc/v1r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_retrieving_specific_work_item.html

Please let me know if it retrievs id 7.

Thanks,
Syed.

permanent link
Mike Rolls (12631813) | answered Mar 12 '09, 11:08 a.m.
No sorry syed - reports work item '7' was not found in this repository, either when selecting 'All work items' or 'all unresolved work items'

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.