It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Any plans for a jazz integrated code review plugin?

Jason Annadani (11) | asked Nov 05 '09, 6:15 a.m.
Hi,
On our project we use Eclipse + RTC (2.0) plug in as our dev environment, with a SCRUM variant for process template.

We are just starting to use the review/approvers feature of work items and this leads to the question: are there any plans for a code review tool that integrates with this feature of RTC work items?

Such a tool should hook into the review approval functionality on the work items and automatically select the source files referred to by any change sets in the work item, and the reviewers also.

Currently, if we used something like Jupiter (or paid for Code Collaborator), we'd have to do these steps manually, and in my opinion the review artefacts produced by these sorts of tools would sit better as attachments on a work item rather than (as at present) being checked in to source control.

Are there any other jazz users successfully using any sort of code review tooling?

Thanks,
Jason

16 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 05 '09, 3:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jason,

I don't know about code review tools, but since there is an integration with our Rational Software analyzer tool for code quality that is also process enabled I think this is definitely possible.

I also think it is a great Idea. We usually hope for partners to do integrations and also provide integration capabilities with the RSDK ond other interfaces like OSLC.

You could suggest such a capability in a enhancement request if it is not already there (or support the case if it is).

In addition you could suggest your preferred vendor(s) to partner and to create such a cool feature.

Just some thoughts,

Ralph

Hi,
On our project we use Eclipse + RTC (2.0) plug in as our dev environment, with a SCRUM variant for process template.

We are just starting to use the review/approvers feature of work items and this leads to the question: are there any plans for a code review tool that integrates with this feature of RTC work items?

Such a tool should hook into the review approval functionality on the work items and automatically select the source files referred to by any change sets in the work item, and the reviewers also.

Currently, if we used something like Jupiter (or paid for Code Collaborator), we'd have to do these steps manually, and in my opinion the review artefacts produced by these sorts of tools would sit better as attachments on a work item rather than (as at present) being checked in to source control.

Are there any other jazz users successfully using any sort of code review tooling?

Thanks,
Jason

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Nov 05 '09, 4:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I don't know of any firm plans, but there's at least one work item open about it:

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/82085

e

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 06 '09, 4:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason

Just to add to Ralph's comments - you can use Rational Software Analyser (RSAR), but in a slightly different way to the one you mention above. It is a different approach, so wanted to expand on it here in case this might work for you.

You install RSAR into the shell, and then you get additional process rules available in your process. For example, a developer must code-review using RSAR before they can deliver, etc. This then works like any other process rule, so delivered code must have been checked, and what the change set is, and you can generate the appropriate work item if there is a problem, etc. I like the idea of getting the checks done before you deliver rather than it being a retrospective check.

You can also then use RSAR in the build so you can run checks again if you want to but that should not be required unless you have a different set of rules you want to check against.

I don't have RTC+RSAR in front of me at the moment to tell you all the rules you can use, but hopefully this makes some sense.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Nov 06 '09, 8:56 a.m.
Hi,

Thanks,
Jason

Interesting that at my office we were having the exact same discussion yesterday! We use Code Collaborator and are very pleased with it. However, it doesn't have hooks yet to submit a review from a RTC changeset. Someone asked about this on one of the blog entries that touts CodeCollaborator's interop with ClearCase -- see http://blog.smartbear.com/the_smartbear_blog/2009/08/ready-for-rational.html.

The meat of the answer is "We've looked at Rational Team Concert and are interested in adding support for it. I don't know that it will happen 'soon,' but do stay tuned."

So perhaps IBM should prod SmartBear a little to implement that more quickly...?

Regards,
Mike

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 07 '09, 11:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that most third party vendors are more interested in what their
potential customers think than what IBM thinks, so I'd encourage any
potential SmartBear customers that are interested in an integration
between SmartBear and RTC to contact SmartBear directly.

Cheers,
Geoff

micjohnson997 wrote:
jason.annadaniwrote:
Hi,
On our project we use Eclipse + RTC (2.0) plug in as our dev
environment, with a SCRUM variant for process template.
We are just starting to use the review/approvers feature of work
items and this leads to the question: are there any plans for a code
review tool that integrates with this feature of RTC work items?
Such a tool should hook into the review approval functionality on
the work items and automatically select the source files referred to
by any change sets in the work item, and the reviewers also.
Currently, if we used something like Jupiter (or paid for Code
Collaborator), we'd have to do these steps manually, and in my
opinion the review artefacts produced by these sorts of tools would
sit better as attachments on a work item rather than (as at present)
being checked in to source control.
Are there any other jazz users successfully using any sort of code
review tooling?
Thanks,
Jason
Interesting that at my office we were having the exact same discussion
yesterday! We use Code Collaborator and are very pleased with it.
However, it doesn't have hooks yet to submit a review from a RTC
changeset. Someone asked about this on one of the blog entries that
touts CodeCollaborator's interop with ClearCase -- see
http://blog.smartbear.com/the_smartbear_blog/2009/08/ready-for-rational.html.

The meat of the answer is "We've looked at Rational Team Concert
and are interested in adding support for it. I don't know that it
will happen 'soon,' but do stay tuned."

So perhaps IBM should prod SmartBear a little to implement that more
quickly...?

Regards,
Mike

permanent link
Sudhakar Frederick (80113631) | answered Dec 20 '09, 5:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe "Code review" is very different from "Static analysis" (ie. RSAR).
For collaborative code review, in addition to SmartBear also see
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/ccrt

Freddy

jason.annadani wrote:
Hi,
On our project we use Eclipse + RTC (2.0) plug in as our dev
environment, with a SCRUM variant for process template.

We are just starting to use the review/approvers feature of work items
and this leads to the question: are there any plans for a code review
tool that integrates with this feature of RTC work items?

Such a tool should hook into the review approval functionality on the
work items and automatically select the source files referred to by
any change sets in the work item, and the reviewers also.

Currently, if we used something like Jupiter (or paid for Code
Collaborator), we'd have to do these steps manually, and in my
opinion the review artefacts produced by these sorts of tools would
sit better as attachments on a work item rather than (as at present)
being checked in to source control.

Are there any other jazz users successfully using any sort of code
review tooling?

Thanks,
Jason

permanent link
Gregg Sporar (16) | answered Apr 14 '10, 3:25 p.m.
Our initial integration with Rational Team Concert is now available in Code Collaborator v5.0.5028.

This is just a Technology Preview - we're planning to add more features to our integration but we wanted to get the initial set of bits out there so that we could get feedback from folks who have expressed an interest in using Code Collaborator with Rational Team Concert.

Documentation on the initial feature set is available here: http://smartbear.com/docs/manual/5.0/rtc_overview.html

Thanks,
Gregg Sporar
Senior Product Manager
Smart Bear Software
http://blog.smartbear.com

permanent link
Gregg Sporar (16) | answered Jul 25 '10, 8:53 p.m.
And now we have even more available in the integration between Code Collaborator and Rational Team Concert: http://blog.smartbear.com/the_smartbear_blog/2010/07/rational-team-concert-server-support.html

Gregg Sporar
Senior Product Manager
Smart Bear Software
http://blog.smartbear.com

permanent link
T M (8876188143) | answered Nov 16 '11, 6:18 a.m.
I tried integrating the code review plugin with RTC and not successful.

RTC 3.0.1
Windows 7 Professional Edition

I followed the below steps:

- Downloaded the zipped file from: http://backups.smartbear.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/ccollab_client_6_5_6503_update_site.zip.

- Unzipped to $JAZZ_ROOT/ccollab-update-site.
Where JAZZ_ROOT=C:\JazzTeamServer

- In the $JAZZ_ROOT/server/conf/ccm/provision_profiles directory, "com.smartbear.ccollab-profile.ini" was copied.

Content of "com.smartbear.ccollab-profile.ini":
url=file:../../ccollab-update-site
featureid=com.smartbear.collaborator.rtc.process.feature

- "Request Server Reset" from the Jazz web admin

- Restart JTS

After all the above steps, I still don't see "Code Collaborator" section in the Advance Properties.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Nov 16 '11, 10:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You would definitely need to restart CCM too. You may not need to restart JTS, but it wouldn't hurt. Also, make sure you're checking the CCM admin web UI for the Advanced Properties changes, not JTS's.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.