It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to use the RM Extensions API to create an artifact outside of a Module?

Nate Decker (37814161) | asked May 22 '19, 10:20 a.m.

The RM Extensions API provides functions for creating artifacts within a module using global dashboard widgets running JavaScript. For example:

RM.Data.Module.createArtifact

I've used this function and it works. However, we'd like to be able to create artifacts outside of the context of a module. It looks like there is no equivalent function for this. In other words, the function "RM.Data.createArtifact" doesn't exist, not even in the most-recent incarnation of the RM extensions API. Am I missing something? Is this provided somehow?

I've considered that one possible workaround to fake this behavior by having a placeholder module where I will temporarily create new artifacts and then immediately remove artifacts from this module. The problem is that the RM.Data.Module.createArtifact function requires a reference to an existing artifact in the module and I can't figure out how to get a reference unless the user actually opens the module first or selects the artifact. There doesn't seem to be an API function defined for getting a reference to an artifact based solely on the GUID or the artifact ID. If my workaround is to be effective, the user must not be required to interact with the module directly. That would defeat the point of the automation I am trying to build. Is there a way to get a reference/handle to an artifact without first selecting it or viewing it?

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.