It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM CLM 6.0.6 Distributed topology high availability

Santosh Kumar (1112) | asked Apr 30 '19, 1:42 p.m.
Hi ,

We have a requirement to implement the high availability in the jazz platform and we plan for distributed topology with 2 nodes each of JTS, CCM, IHS rest of QM,RM,DCC,JRS with WAS 9.0 on RHEL 7.3 and backend oracle 12c database

Looking forward for an advice on the recommended approach on HA:

1. Customer prefers RHEL clustering as the default choice (PCS, Fencing, Stonith) as it is working for many other applications in the enterprise and can be implemented without any delay. Is this recommended to have PCS clustering with shared drives mounted in each nodes for the jazz suite? If not recommended, what can be the issue if we go ahead and implement this – Technical as well as OEM support wise
  2. Do we need network load balancer(NLB) as a recommended solution for the above solution? In that case does the HA(High Availability) applicable only to CCM? If so, what happens if any of the other components are failed(eg:  IHS,JTS,QM,RM).
  3. Can we configure autofailover for CLM 6.0.6 with WAS any script is available also IHS server
  4. Do we need MQTT broker in the option-2 and how about its license?

Please advice.

Regards

Santosh

4 answers

permanent link
Tim Feeney (30745745) | answered May 01 '19, 10:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think you first need to understand what your HA requirements are.  How available do you really need to be?  How fast do you need to recover from an outage? Have a look at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ApproachesToImplementingHAAndDR to see some of the available approaches at different layers in the architecture.  Often times built in capabilities from the hypervisor, e.g. VMWare HA, are sufficient.  Clustering the CCM server does provide HA of that application as well as the intended user scalability.  It may be overkill depending on your requirements.  OS-based or WAS-based clustering is not supported.  I recommend understanding what the requirements are then evaluating available approaches at each layer and do a cost/benefit tradeoff to see what approaches are warranted.

permanent link
Tim Feeney (30745745) | answered May 03 '19, 12:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

We don't support RHEL clustering.  MQTT is only used when deploying CCM application clustering or multiple GCM instances.

permanent link
Kenny Smith (302614) | answered Apr 30 '19, 2:57 p.m.

I'd recommend you read through the articles in the Deployment Wiki first, starting with this article:

Relying on OS clustering is fraught with issues. You should follow Liberty based clustering as  WAS ND clustering is no longer supported. 

In a nutshell, yes, you will need MQTT for proper clustering. You can use IBM's product, or if  you are price sensitive, you can consider the open source Apache Mosquitto. 

permanent link
Santosh Kumar (1112) | answered May 03 '19, 7:56 a.m.
Thanks all ,

Please confirm my below queries

If we are using MQTT broker then it is a Active /active or active/Passive ? and which license require?

If we are going with cold standby ( Active /Passive ) for IHS,JTS, CCM with WAS in HA and QM,RM,JRS,DCC is standalone as per below link .

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ImplementingJazzApplicationServerRecoveryUsingAnIdleStandbyConfiguration

1. can a script be written to do that? And could it is available ?  for auto failover
2. Any option in WAS for autofailover

If we are going with RHEL Cluster ( Active /Passive )

1. our Infra team will support for RHEL cluster so Could IBM Support for IHS, JTS, CCM Application

Regards

Santosh

Comments
Kenny Smith commented May 03 '19, 8:28 a.m.

MQTT would be used with a Liberty instance. Yes, that would be active/active. You would need a license to IBM MessageSight if you want commercial support (contact my company for a software quote if you like). Otherwise, you can use Eclipse Mosquitto. Either way, there is no difference in RTC license costs as its licenses are per user, not per server. 

For the latter question, you would need to write scripts to handle the auto failover. It would have to be  passive failover, os there would be a temporary outage as the servers come up. 

FYI, I highly recommend Liberty over WAS. There is no real technical benefit to WAS over Liberty these days as Liberty has become quite robust and very stable. 

Ulf Arne Bister commented May 03 '19, 4:34 p.m.

I second the recommendation for Liberty to use with Jazz: all the muscle, none of the fat of WAS and so much easier to handle with regard to configuration files.

vikrant kamble commented May 08 '19, 1:18 a.m.

Hello Kenny and Ulf

As you mentioned to go for liberty over WAS does it mean we can use liberty for production servers in enterprise environments.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.